Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I know with the water at these levels things are getting pretty crazy out there. I had a few years of experience but I haven't been on the water since I started college and my wife is as green as the forests are these days (about two weeks guided instruction.)

We've had a few lake sessions to check my roll/get reacquainted but I've not been on a river in 8 years.

The heart of the question is this: Where can we go to get some class I-II experience within a reasonable drive of Denver these days?

I've seen that Deckers>chutes would be a good run at an hour from Denver, and I hear Ark is generally pretty safe; but at these water levels I just don't know.

I'd love to hear all of your input on places to go or even how to go about practicing.

Thanks for any advice everyone!

-Logan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Deckers is your best bet for a close 1-2 although all roads into the deckers/foxton runs are currently closed until further notice from Douglas county. At these levels, the chutes on deckers would be intense class 3 and proabably a wise portage for new boaters.

Another good spot is clear creek whitewater park in golden, although at current levels (1400+) could cause swims for beginners. I was chasing boats/paddles down it this sunday. Once it drops a little, it is a fantastic place to practice rolls, ferries and catching eddies.

Poudre has come down to just below 4ft so the filter plant run should be quite fun. Mad dog would be the biggest rapid so you may want to scout the lines before dropping in.

The ark is huge and roudy at the moment, I know I had a gnarly swim in fractions at 4000+. Will proabably wait until its back under 3k to head back lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
start at 470 on the Sourh Platte...scout every drop as this will help you practice getting in and out of your boat in an eddy...go as far as Bowles...park at Platte River Bar and Grill and familiarize yourself with the take out...this is a pleasant section and will allow for getting the rust out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trying to talk my wife into runnng her raft on that section this weekend. Is it doable in a 14 ft oar rig? Any sticky holes with the man made structures or is it fairly straight forward. Would like to go as far as Evans. She has rowed the Grand Canyon, Ark, Rouge, and many others so she is experiienced.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 13' Riken bucket boat and went down last Saturday. It was running at almost 3900 CFS. We went to Florida. I wouldn't go past that. If it's still at the same level (3900CFS)when you run it, the rocks that "show" you which way to go are under water and sometimes hard to pick out. It is mostly a float trip except for the man made features which, at those levels can flip someone if they really, really, really don't know how to read water. You can scout everything which I did because I had someone on the raft who had never swam before. We bailed our bucket boat after almost all the big rapids. Three hours after we went through the Union Chutes a tuber went through, flipped and hasn't been seen since. There are some strong currents in there BUT again....if you know what you're doing...not a problem. Take a close look at the entrance to the chutes at Union, I went all the way left with four adults and could feel the boat getting sucked back in but I just pushed on the oars and we were out.
If they drop the CFS coming out of Chatfield to below 2000CFS, you're in for a major float trip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gnashingteeth I used the reading for confluence park for an estimate
Robemega I carried my raft over the wooden fence near the C 470 bridge on the bike path and then rig it there so I can hit that first drop. It's a bunch of work but you cool off quick in that wave.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks for the good info. Feel free to throw out any more ideas but we'll try to get out there and just hit some water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts