Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a class II/easy class III river for a 2 day trip with a group of friends. The plan would be inflatable kayaks and a gear boat. We don't have our own gear, so would need somewhere that rents boats nearby. We're in California so a river within California would be best, but rivers within about 2 hours of a major airport in the western US would also work. Anytime between May - August works.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bigfoot Rafting on the 299 outside Willow Creek on the Trinity river does rentals. They’ve rented me both paddle and oar rigged rafts before. They can provide dry bags, pfds, paddles etc. Very reasonable and also run shuttles. Good people. The upper Trinity has a nice run that can be over nighted from Douglas City to Junction City. Very low class (I-II). Don’t go much further though. Some class IV and V are below there and oddly enough people get caught up in the Burnt Ranch Gorge who don’t know better. Beautiful river not much wider than a creek up there.

http://publiclands.org/pdf/CA/TrinityRiver.pdf

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Take the drive to Fruita CO and do the Ruby Horse Thief float.

Rent gear and shuttle at the put in.

Stay at the state park super facilities including showers. Plenty of good places to eat in Fruita.

Grand Junction a few miles away has everything including airport.

Ruby Horse Thief is a beautiful canyon to float. Aways has water. Plenty of camps some just awesome with shade others with full sunlight.

Colorado Monument is as scenic as it gets and easy to drive. One of the most scenic drives any where.

Worth the drive for a easy but fun first float.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How About the Grand Ronde?

Grand Ronde, in Northeastern Oregon. There's a great stretch from Minam Store to Powwatka Bridge, or farther, if you like. You can rent boats at the put-in. Beautiful, lush, scenery, mellow whitewater, lovely campsites, mountain goats. No permit lottery - just self-register at the put-in. It's a perfect family trip, in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Grand Ronde, in Northeastern Oregon. There's a great stretch from Minam Store to Powwatka Bridge, or farther, if you like. You can rent boats at the put-in. Beautiful, lush, scenery, mellow whitewater, lovely campsites, mountain goats. No permit lottery - just self-register at the put-in. It's a perfect family trip, in my opinion.
Great stretch, but probably not a 2-day.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Seems like a ton of effort to rent gear and add airfares for an overnight.

Go for something near home for the shakedown.

Then buy an obscene amount of gear and amortize it out over a multiday on another western river. :D

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Ditto for John Day and Deschutes

·
Registered
91 Posts
I live in Eureka. Raftin there since 80. Hawkins Bar to Tish Tang would be perfect. Hawkins to Willow Creek needs 4k cfs up to 20k or more. It's pretty, can camp anywhere practially, including put in. Great campground at finish, Tish Tang.
Big Foot and one other Co in WC rent all the goods. Message me for any more info

·
Registered
91 Posts
Back to that lower Trinity run. No permits needed, no rangers to bug you. Those rafting Companies could do shuttle as well as outfit you.

·
Renaissance *******
1,288 Posts
What 4runner said = buy a used raft, edit down your car camping gear, figure out a local run, and go

1 - 20 of 29 Posts