Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to kayaking and looking into buying a new kayak. I'll mostly be running rivers/ creeks. I was interested in the Jackson fun, hero, karma, and zen just looking for feedback on which boat to buy.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The one that is most comfortable for you, and the one that costs the least. All these boats are good.

Fun will have you upside down more than the others. Shorter, more playful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really worried about price honestly was looking at starting off in a rockstar so o progress faster but wasn't sure how it was for river running. Is there really much difference between the karma and zen ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the rockstar really that hard to roll or does it just take a lot more practice? I've heardf you start with a play boat you will develope your kayaking skills better is that true or will o be over my head with a rockstar

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I learned in a play boat. Yes they are harder to roll, but that will just make your roll bomber.

There are differences in sizing and design between the Karma and Zen. Either would be a great boat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fun is a great boat for surf and river running. You'll suffer learning in a rockstar. Eventually you'll want at least 2 different boats (creek and play)anyway so don't think you're going to find the everything boat for your first purchase. You'll get punished plenty in a fun, but can still play. Learn how, then figure out what you want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now I'm running class 2-3 moving to class 4 eventually but I'm using a old town heron 9xt with no trouble at all on class 2-3. You think I'd be ok to run in a rockstar

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd get a cheap used river runner, or something like the Fun and no more playful than that, but I'd honestly recommend a regular river runner, because when you do start doing class 4's, you will need one. A playboat is less of a need, and more to keep you entertained on easy runs. Once you are feeling good, and doing well with rolling, ferrying and eddying everywhere, then pick up a playboat like the rockstar or all star. You'll want both a river runner and playboat eventually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot I'll probably end up getting a jk karma seems like the best bet for speed rivers and creeks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts