Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My husband and I got a boat this spring. We had some experience as paddlers on friends' rafts before and spent lots of time on the upper colorado (rancho-st bridge, rancho-two bridges, cottonwood-dotsero) this spring. We are now starting to run the yarmony canyon and are just feeling much more comfortable.

I'd like to do a 1-2 nigh trip over Labor Day. We have done loma-westwater Memorial Day a couple times and run the upper colorado all the time (we live south of steamboat)

Any recommendations on easier trips floatable Labor Day? Preferably not a section needing a permit, seeing as I don't have any now! Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I guess it all depends on how far you want to travel. You are limiting your river selection without permits and time of year. Gunnison from Pleasure park to Whitewater is one option, Colorado from Shoshone to past Glenwood Springs. Not much left in Colorado that time of year. Either one of the above mentioned runs would be good for your level, but not sure about camping options on either section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Gunnerman, thanks for the ideas. I'll keep my eye on the Shoshone stretch. What is the gore canyon like? Possible that time of year? Hanks for the suggestion!

L

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are only now comfortable yarmony, gore is beyond out of the question. Maybe consider the green below flaming gorge. If you want more excitement see if somebody would take you through westwater. Would probably have to beg to tag along though (permit), or buy all the beer. May also be above your comfort level still.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Green River a, b, c sections is a great option for you. Stunningly beautiful water and canyon. Class II with an easy III on the b section.

Once you do YouTube Gore canyon you will get a good chuckle about your inquiry on running that one.....

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions! i looked at the Gore...got a good idea about that one!

I'll look at the Green (a, b, c) and also was thinking about the Gunnison from Delta to Whitewater camping a night in desolation canyon. just have to hope that there is still enough water over labor day!

thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Green River to Mineral Bottoms is a mellow run. Class I for most, with some ripples to II in the beginning. Beautiful scenery, easy camping, and no permit required.
Shuttle back from MB is a little difficult tho.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great info! I can't choose between the Gunny Delta to Whitewater or Green Dam to...well, anywhere! Fortunately i'm a teacher and will probably do both this summer! LOVE IT!

Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts