Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I heading down the big ditch here in a couple of weeks and am curious as to how past GCers have carried their beer for 24 days. I am thinking of bringing around 250 cans or so and am assuming that others on my trip will be carring about the same.

I have heard a couple of ideas (big mesh bags, milk crates, drop nets, etc) but have not been too impresses with any one of them yet. I am wondering what yall think. Who has got the ideal way to carry that amount of cerveca?? Thanks :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that I am also nrsted in doing some fishing while I am down there. Has anyone had any experiences with fishing down here good or bad. I am looking at both fly and spin fishing (and I know that I need a AZ tag if I am going to fish down there).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fishing depends on water quality - if side streams are running the water will be red and fishing won't be so good. When I went the water was crystal clear all the way, and the fishing stayed very good to Deer Creek falls.

I store my beer in cheap heavy duty canvas duffels from an army surplus store. Some cans are going to inevitably explode, and the heavy canvas protects the boat from the sharp aluminum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you get a chance, stop around the Bright Angel Campground and hike a few miles up Bright Angel Creek until you get out of the crowded area. It's a small creek that feeds into the Colorado and has some great fly fishing. You can get some decent sized fish dragging a streamer near some of the undercuts and there was some good dry fly stuff the times I've been there. Nothing too big but still a lot of fun.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not too impressed with other's ideas for storing lots of beer for a long trip. Whats wrong with a milk crate or mesh bag. IT'S CAMPING! :D

But I'll tell you my secret...I have a plug-in mini fridge I mount on the back of my kayak and plug into my kayak which has mini water wheels that provide electricity as I float down the river (from the side its kinda like spinners on cars but for boats!). But make sure you bungee the door closed for if you roll the door might come open! Also you have to face forward down river because if you float backwards the water wheels spin backwards and heat the fridge instead of cooling it. I lost a whole mess of beer once because of that! :rolleyes:

There we go...got rid of my smart-ass bug for the day! :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
definitely go with a bag of some sort rather than a crate or hard sided thing cuz that way towards the end of the trip when you only have a few beers left you don't still have a huge empty box taking up room

·
Registered
43 Posts
Milk crates all the way. Cut a piece of 1/4'' plywood to fit in the top and use a cam strap or two to hold down. Worried about wasted space once beers have been drank, use crates to store crushed empties in. You can rig the lid so that it is below the handle slots, that way you don't need to worry about loosing cans out of the crate. Mesh/canvas/burlap bags only cost you beer and money in the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I personally use an old heavy duty dry bag that I had lying around, same idea as the Mesh/canvas/burlap bags, but nice because it can also act as dry storage for other items later in the trip. If you have the setup that can handle it though, I'd go the route of large ammo cans. Because being air/water tight, they are the perfect trash cans... which everybody likes at the end of a long grand trip.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Bring a drag bag for refrigeration.
Buy 12-packs and wrap three long strips of duct tape around them.
Then stow them under boxes and bags and in the crevices of your boat.
In 1999, we packed two cords of beer into eight boats like that and it worked like a charm.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
bring a drag(mesh) bag to put a day or two's supplies in and keep cool in the water(pull in boat for big rapids). Buy as many cases of PBR you can find/afford/fit in your car. Buy several rolls of duct tape. Cool one case on ice. Go to Lee's Ferry, drink the cold case, duct tape the rest up individually, then together in a cube, pyramid or armchair/couch if you like and put on your boat. The tape will keep the beers together and the boxes from coming apart and ending up in the river. Remember, full beers float, so if you flip and they're not netted in you can have a scavenger hunt!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I stored mine in the original boxes in a drop bag, under a table. I think it took 2 weeks for the boxes to disintegrate and then they went in mesh bags. Milk crates are pretty space inefficient.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Lots of Duct tape, I feel like everytime I store them out of the box (mesh bag, drag bag) I end up losing atleast a couple beers, and on the Grand that could be the difference between life and death.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Definetly duct tape the 12 packs or cases. I have had great luck putting the duct taped 12 packs in a nylon "rice bag". They are about the perfect size and don't let the 12 packs shift around like a bigger burlap bag does. And then you can easily grab part of a case or 12 and not have the rest rolling around in a bigger burlap. the nylon rice bag holds I think 4 12 packs, but you can't seal it unless you duct tape the rice bag shut with 4 12 packs in it. If you don't duct tape the beer, the cardboard blows out and the beers begin rolling around in whatever and it's a hassle for sure. And more broken cans - can't have that sort of alcohol abuse going on! Hey, have a fantastic time!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I stored mine in the original boxes in a drop bag, under a table. I think it took 2 weeks for the boxes to disintegrate and then they went in mesh bags. Milk crates are pretty space inefficient.
Yep, with a couple of wraps of duct tape they will last even longer. This is how everyone I know does it. For the Grand Canyon I plan on treating beer as a luxury. I don't think it is worth the weight and the space and I'm not taking very much. Think tequila, think whiskey, think about the 2 years of lifespan on your liver that 19 straight days of drinking would cost.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
I dont drink often, neither does my girl. We thought 7 beers each per day plus shine would suffice. WRONG. After several days of rationing, we ran out of beer 3 days from the end. I would suggest 10-12 per day, plus liquor. You can find room, we took a 13' tributary! We never would have made it if Matt K., scientist extraordinaire from a certain universtiy in N. Arizona, hadn't drpped us off a big "bucket of stupid" somewhere on day 15 or so. If you are out there thanks Matt(and the rest of the crew).SHOTGUN!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Never understood the concept of taking the 12 pack box, adding duct tape, getting it wet, then carrying it (x10) for 3 weeks on my boat!

I fill the bottom of my drybox and cooler with beers (laying down).
It keeps anything from swimming in my cooler and if any water gets in my drybox, the stuff I want dry is not sitting on the bottom.

After 5 trips, I figure the right amount is a 6 pack per day.
I do alot of hiking, drink water all day, rarely have a beer before breakfast
and am asleep by 10. Figure a couple nights of wine or hard stuff and that seems to work out. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
516 Posts
white plastic poly weave grain bags get them at any feed store. They're cheap, tough, gives you a place for your empties. Heavy drag bag is a great idea.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Is the guideline here a 6 pack per day per person for the lightweights, and a dozen for the regulars?

after a main salmon trip with a bunch of engineers, it was determined that the correct beer equation is 1oz per lb of body weight per day.

after we came up with that number i did some reverse math and determined that i was gonna be a day short, and sure enough.... i had one beer left on the last morning.

the right amount ALWAYS seems like way too much at the checkout aisle/put in.

an emergency bottle of whisky is never a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts