Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In Spring on some years a scouting swarm of bees lands in one of my trees and stays from 2 to 7 days. I believe they are looking to create a new colony or move the colony. I don't see searching internet if the queen is in the swarm. At first they only rested in the large cedar trees but this year they formed in the apple tree and very low so I could set up the tripod/camera. Coincidentally the swarm took flight and left the tree when I had the camera rolling. For days the Purple Martin and Tree Swallows would dive bomb the swarm's bees who came/went and ate them.

I found this bee research diagram

TBP Admin, Oregon.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I LOVE BEES!!

You can also call a local beekeeper; many of them are interested/willing to safely rehive a swarm.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I’m a beekeeper. The queen is always with the swarm. If you don’t want to keep the swarm, check c-list. During swarm season, local beekeepers will advertise that they do free swarm removal.
If you want them, check YouTube for some easy ways to recover them. Fortunately, swarms aren’t usually aggressive.
If you want to get them into a hive, shake them into a cardboard box, and gently pour them into the hive, or in front of it.
YouTube search “the march of the bees” for something awesome everyone should see.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wallrat that was interesting to see the bees walk. just like me in the yard when there's a gigantic blue/gray/green... snake in the yard i don't have my camera in hand, run in to get it and the snake, bird, wolf, bobcat, hare... is gone. he missed the queen. what does a natural bee hive look like, when there isn't a human made container for them? i'd don't find much searching. does the colony ever split so they'd be two queens, one starting a new colony?
March of the Bees
TBP Admin

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
MT4Runner, Wallrat, i've found that i cannot over flower the yard. each year my yard, 1/3 acre, accumulates more flowers and each year ALL the flowers are completely full of bees. plant flowers and they will come. they have an order of sourced flowers to draw from as the first flowers bloom they draw from but then as other flowers bloom they have a favorites list, they will abandon some. maybe the newer blooms have more desirable materials? california poppies are spreading in my yard which has tripled the long lasting source. the fruit trees flower doesn't last long. the california poppies really supply them. the larger bumble bees show up months after the honey bees. the bumble bees really like the honeysuckle and california poppies.

the bumble bees are really difficult to catch a pic, they move quickly, never rest.

TBP Admin

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
that's so cool.

While I abhor yellow jackets, as I mentioned above, I LOVE bees. We have a pink rose bush that is in full bloom right now and full of happy buzzing!!

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Awesome pictures, thanks for posting!

·
Registered
397 Posts
When multiple queens hatch, it’s a battle to the death. The first queen will kill the others. If there’s no domestic hive available, they will go into a hollow tree, or an attic. In desert areas under a cliff will work.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Swarm!!! Just because alot of people think bees are hornets (?) They call 911. The sherif and 911 dispatcher have beekeepers list for swarms too. Just FYI. I used to do it but stopped because so many "swarms" were just a yellowjacket nest or a few bees foraging. I caught six swarms last year and all but one made the winter. They are all black and all huge and all mean. They will make copious amounts of honey!!! I actually got a little sick of catching them by fall lol. My favorite swarm call was a fancy lady who had a swarm. I went over and she had a few bees foraging her garden. She then insisted I find and remove the hive (old rich people sometimes think anything is possible) so I said "ok" I like "bee lining " it's super fun and challenging. So I sat and watched and followed and watched and finally crawled through a hedge row and found a beautiful hive freshly painted in her neighbors yard lol. Anyway...next time you find a swarm...for mental fortitude...reach your bare hand gently into the cluster. Gently part the bees and find the queen. Gently cup her in your hand and place her on your chin. Then breath slowly and calmly while the swarm re clusters on your face!!! Bee beard!!! (Remember that from 70's t.v.!!??) Maybe don't do that but do gently stroke the cluster it is a very pleasant and unique feeling. I have 60 hives right now that are hard at work! Wanna save the bees? Don't spray the ditches!!

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
that's so cool.

While I abhor yellow jackets, as I mentioned above, I LOVE bees. We have a pink rose bush that is in full bloom right now and full of happy buzzing!!
a yellow jacket stung me on the upper lip, besides the pain/swelling, in 15 seconds i felt "strange" like a mild alcohol/drug high. the same sting/feeling happened a few years early. i didn't feel the buzz when i was younger being stung by bees. TBP Admin

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Don't spray the ditches!!
pinche, what does this mean? spray roadways drainage ditches? i do notice what i was taught/saw on tv what are "weeds" are flowers/food for birds, bees, insects. then in my day dreaming i thought "who decided what are weeds?" i've noticed that there are many color patterns to bees, yellows, oranges, some have no color, all black. TBP Admin

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
central I5 corridor, we had 95F for a week, the bees disappeared. i'm not sure if this was normal time to disappear? the last days of 95F we had 102F 104F then 114F. the 114F destroyed 95% of my 6'x14' raspberry crop. up until the 114F i was picking 5 cups per day and increasing daily. some of u west coast around rivers have picked blackberries and u get to know the color and get the feel of the pull strength on the blackberries as they slip off and color u can tell the best tasting. raspberries color is more obvious from red to most ripe at pink/purple and slide off. i've never seen pink/purple in stores. my crop was days away from pink/purple when the 114F hit. many plant leaves looked like they were actually burned by butane torch. at first i thought the fruit would survive, not. some turned white the side that faced the sun then molded/rotted. many dried out and shriveled. others looked pink/red but wouldn't pull off and smashed in fingers (like i've experienced with blackberries for a decade. i always thought stuck on the plant meant lack of water but maybe it's excessive heat). many apples where torched too. i've contacted the OSU Extension Services Master Gardeners who are not sure how much is spoiled (apples, pears, grapes). in years past i always go for a exercise hill walk even on the 105F days. the 114F day was exponentially harsh. i haven't seen any bees since that week, i've seen a few bumble bees. i don't know if it's normal time for them to disappear or it was the heat? TBP Admin.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah don't spray insecticide or herbicides on the ditches. So highways and byways and municipalities common grounds. Used to be farmers had hedge rows and or ditches that separated their lands/crops they would be wild so to speak and great habitats for bees of all kinds. Same with communities and highways. Now I know people don't like this but honey bees are non native to North America. They also are opportunists. So they will collect the most abundant source of nectar or pollen at the given time each day. Well most often that's weeds. Of course if there's a stand that is in bloom they will go there but modern farmers don't let crops bloom more than 5-10% before its cut. So I make way more honey off dandelion and thistle than alfalfa or mustard. Now the examples are plentiful of specific crops and pollination. Think almonds , cherries, apples even some vegetables but truth be told that is for profit deal not helping native bees or any honey bees that have gone feral. One of the most prolific nectar flows in the west is knapweed. its considered invasive and sprayed . So is thistle and every one sprays dandelion. Honey bees are an invasive species too really as are brown trout and on and on.People want to save the bees? Well don't spray weeds!!! Research has shown a gradual build up of pesticides and herbicides in the comb that eventually leads to collapse. Lots of other reasons but just that would help. Bees are pretty volunarble really and now if I want 40 hives in spring I go into winter with 60. For the record I keep less than a hundred hives as few as 40 and make only 25-4k lbs of honey a year. So iam not big. I also have a degree in entomology from university of montana specifically for honey bees but I wasn't a great student lol!!! Iam also involved in a commercial operation that handles 5-6k hives. I can tell you it gets pretty ugly at that level. If bees where puppies it would be illegal. I don't use almonds or their product either but that's just me. I still drive a truck so I ain't really saving the world or anything. Unfortunately at this time in my life honey bees are a "giant box full of prehistoric poisonous insects" not my pets. Now and again I have a moment but often my bees are big and strong and mean and we are a predator to them so yeah let's say I get stung alot lol. One of the best natural beekeepers alive is john palmer . He has lots of stuff on you tube.

·
My name isn't Will
323 Posts
central I5 corridor, we had 95F for a week, the bees disappeared. i'm not sure if this was normal time to disappear? the last days of 95F we had 102F 104F then 114F. the 114F destroyed 95% of my 6'x14' raspberry crop. up until the 114F i was picking 5 cups per day and increasing daily. some of u west coast around rivers have picked blackberries and u get to know the color and get the feel of the pull strength on the blackberries as they slip off and color u can tell the best tasting. raspberries color is more obvious from red to most ripe at pink/purple and slide off. i've never seen pink/purple in stores. my crop was days away from pink/purple when the 114F hit. many plant leaves looked like they were actually burned by butane torch. at first i thought the fruit would survive, not. some turned white the side that faced the sun then molded/rotted. many dried out and shriveled. others looked pink/red but wouldn't pull off and smashed in fingers (like i've experienced with blackberries for a decade. i always thought stuck on the plant meant lack of water but maybe it's excessive heat). many apples where torched too. i've contacted the OSU Extension Services Master Gardeners who are not sure how much is spoiled (apples, pears, grapes). in years past i always go for a exercise hill walk even on the 105F days. the 114F day was exponentially harsh. i haven't seen any bees since that week, i've seen a few bumble bees. i don't know if it's normal time for them to disappear or it was the heat? TBP Admin.
View attachment 68271
View attachment 68273
View attachment 68274
View attachment 68275

I had 113 at my place in the mid Willamette Valley. Raspberries kind of shut down for a few days. They started producing after it "cooled back down" to 90. I have red and blonde raspberries. The blonde ones are pretty stout; all gifts from a friend from when they moved from a place they rented for 20 years and shortly before she died. I've been getting cuttings going in other people's gardens because... they are so good.

But they did bounce back and are producing well. Blueberries are doing ok. Marion berries are doing fine. I think prune plums, Bartlet pears, Chojuro Asian Pears will be fine, and so will Interlaken grapes. I did get things fairly watered in before the heat, but there was just SO MUCH evaporative demand, it was hard for plants to keep up. Several landscape and garden plants have burned leaves; I'm leaving them. Some of the bonsai also suffered, but I don't think I lost more than one plant.

Oh. Yeah. I did go paddling today. Flatwater. Upstream about a mile to try out a "new" boat. It's a 1988 Wenonah Advantage. Paddles ok. While I was trying to get some rusty hardware off the footbar, some doofus crashed into my truck and drove away, so now I have a big huge dent in the side of my truck from some bonehead that can't drive. I got a description and filed a report. Bummer.

But I do like the boat and will keep it. Everyone needs a few more boats. This will be a day-to-day beater of a flatwater boat, and I'll keep the ultralight for when I want to carry heavy loads.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah don't spray insecticide or herbicides on the ditches.
in my yard bumble bees are fast moving, difficult to photograph, they don't stay still at all like bees sometimes do. roseburg across from sherms has a nursery which is in/surrounded by medical buildings, just noticed it. the prices are 30% to 50% less than HD/lowes. the first thing i noticed was dozens of bumble bees on flowers as statues, at most a slow walk. i never saw anything like it. i asked them if i could bring my camera to take pics and they said yes. i was elated. but then on the drive home i was wondering why walked from flower to flower instead of flying? and why such lethargic behavior? i was wondering if insecticide sprays?

these pics are my home and the bumble bees jump more than cooking popcorn!

extreme over exposure

u do see other insects feeding on flowers.

dandelion is a favorite for bees in my yard

they like cherry too

TBP Admin

·
Sponsoring Vendors
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had 113 at my place in the mid Willamette Valley. Raspberries kind of shut down for a few days. They started producing after it "cooled back down" to 90.
my raspberries are 100% destroyed. the NOAA monitor showed 114F but usually our hill is 2-3 higher from reflective sun off the white grassland. in a week after the heat everything is spoiled, not one edible raspberry. i don't know that type i have, i dug up shoots from a friends yard. looks like a should get some shoots of yours?

my city put up notice last week to start "thinking" conserving water. it's never been this low this early by 2 months and no signals of any precipitation and it usually doesn't come until october. they're trying to hint to the dozens using 100K gallons a month to please stop watering their grass, instead of issuing an order. i city meter worker just told me. there's almost no water coming in from our two cascade creeks. do i buy bottled water to save my plants or save myself?

TBP Admin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts