Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Kiwikats
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone able to join us for a run on the monday? i know its a bit early but were coming a long way! Or any advise on how to score a shuttle, appreciated..did i mention we have a vineyard and carry product:cool: too scared to scout cos of the snakes so need help!

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Lochsa Madness and Big Fork Festivals are that weekend. Both would probably be a better option. I heard a rumor of one of the commercial rafting companies driving shuttle for something steep like $100 a car. Showing up at take-out and trying to figure out who is headed upstream for the whitewater might turn out well, but most people will probably be on the Lochsa.

·
Kiwikats
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will be lochsa ourselves on the sat/sun but need to make Poudre in a rush and it looked a good run on the way down..how popular is it?

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
In the summer there is usually a couple private trips a day. Mostly fishermen so if the flows are up and the water is brown you have less of a chance of catching a shuttle. More to the point it's a long day. Half the run is flatwater and the shuttle is 45 min each direction. I paddle it a lot because it has approachable whitewater with volume year round and it's pretty. I think you could find an easier quick fix between the lochsa and poudre though.

·
Kiwikats
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suggest something! hard doing homework from 12000km we are thinking of that one and Snake above pallisades. It just looked like a nice warm up for our "master plan"

·
Registered
506 Posts
Last year I was paying $60.00 for shuttles I will get the numbers of shuttle drivers for you later today. I for one think that Bear trap is a great float. Not sure what it will be like this Memorial Day but there is also the Gallatin which is pretty awesome at high flows.

Jim

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It would be a long day (but also get you moving South and East toward the Poudre) but you could get an early morning Gallatin run and an afternoon Yellowstone (Yankee Jim) run. They're about 1.5 hours apart. Both are somewhat quick runs and have easy shuttles. Hitchhiking isn't easy but not impossible, either.

Do you have any connections on the Poudre? My brother lives in Ft. Collins.

Closer to the Lochsa, the Alberton (Gorge NW of Missoula) might have decent flows...or more likely it will be blown out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Snake above palisades (Alpine Canyon) should be running big, and will have a ton of traffic- its probably one of the easiest stretches around to hitch hike shuttles. Lots of commercial traffic.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Gallatin would be quick and easy. If you wanted more laps are simple. If it's got over 3k in the rio it's worth your time for sure.

Shoshone in Cody WY is interesting and not a lot of mile, don't know how good you are on the sticks or how regularly anyone takes a cat down it.

Northgate canyon on the North Platte is excellent with water but you will need to figure out a shuttle and the timing is a little weird because it's super close to the poudre.

Jackson has a couple runs, the Snake I think is more of a float trip with a couple quick shot rapids. Grey's and the Gros Ventre will be more interesting and in. I haven't done either but I get the impression finding someone to run shuttle with isn't normally a problem.

There's more runs in between the two but I think looking into these makes a lot of sense. I'm sure you are already aware but in case you aren't two sites to help your search:
American Whitewater - National Whitewater Inventory
Home - River Brain

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
This wouldn't be the kiwi cat boater that was on the Lochsa with Lacey and Neil last spring, would it?

·
Kiwikats
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks heeps guys and girls, that will give me plenty to work on!
Could do with some company weekdays if anyone is around the Poudre,MT4
Appreciate those shuttle numbers Jim
...And yes that was us river babe,were hooked!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts