Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A Political Theorist
248 Posts
BLM Ranger said there have been reports of bears on the San Juan below Sand Island lately.

Said they come down every year about this time but didn't mention any conflicts.

Cool photos - definitely a bear.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I know this thread is older, but I just searched for it because I've never heard of bears on the Lower San Juan between Sand Island and Mexican Hat. But then I saw one this weekend. The really crazy thing was that it was practically "hanging out" with three coyotes- all seen on the same beach across from Big Stick campsite within minutes of each other. One coyote came out of the bushes, walked along and then went into the weeds a few yards down the beach. The bear followed a minute later and a few minutes after that two more coyotes followed the same path.

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
It was definitely one highlight of my trip!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Never seen them on the Juan but its great that they are using that habitat and don't seem to be interacting with humans in a negative way. Its always beautiful to see a functioning ecosystem.

I would imagine the canyons along Comb Ridge provide a great corridor for them to travel along.

Phillip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.