Mountain Buzz banner

Bears on Smith River?

1929 22
Applying for a smith river permit for a family fishing float. Saw some articles about bear fencing and was wondering about people’s experience with bears on that river. Ive floated in alaska and aware of the concern but figured common sense around food storage and camp would be enough but for those that have floated that stretch, how important is bear fencing and other similarly aggressive measures?
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,798 Posts
Worse are all the cats around there. We bow hunt and have a stand not far and I won’t go out there anymore we’ve had so many lions come through and one spotted me and the look he gave me was very unnerving …he allready has his permit so too late to scare him off . If you want to be terrified and never come back to Montana just come stay in Bozeman for a few days …poor Montana used to be so nice. Iam serious about the lions . Beware

· Registered
305 Posts
Worse are all the cats around there. We bow hunt and have a stand not far and I won’t go out there anymore we’ve had so many lions come through and one spotted me and the look he gave me was very unnerving …he allready has his permit so too late to scare him off . If you want to be terrified and never come back to Montana just come stay in Bozeman for a few days …poor Montana used to be so nice. Iam serious about the lions . Beware
I’ve heard the cougars at the Crystal can be vicious.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts