Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any beta on boating the Bear trap Canyon on the Maddison Rio in southwest Montana? Flows are around 1500 cfs and looking to run this weekend. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Ran it two weekends ago with a fellow buzzard, same basic flows. Fishing was great, Whitehorse and Greenwave were pretty straightforward kitchen sink was pretty boney, but straightforward (thanks to Sembob's new entry line recommendation). We were each running 15' SB'ers and had no major issues aside from dropping an oar above Herb's Rock.

If you haven't run it before Kitchen Sink is pretty daunting at the scout, I hadn't run it in a dozen years and had forgotten how much it drops! I don't mind saying my heart was pounding, especially when I lost my oar, but a quick recovery, pirouette and a hard push and the rest went smoothly.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Shuttle is 45 min one way on a dirt road for about 1/2 of it. Bring some beer for the float out. Square up on the hits in Kitchen and you should be fine. Wear your floatation. Scout kitchen on the right. It has a small beach and a trail.

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Midway. There's some warm up rapids, a long CL III (whitehorse) a bit of CL II then the wall on river left drops to stream level in the tightest part of the canyon creating kitchen sink. Shortly after kitchen is green wave and all easy CL II for 3-4 mi.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the input. Ran it yesterday...no issues, good lines, and beautiful weather! The sink does run different in actuality then you think when scouting, but all good. Chao.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts