Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heads up. Salida has a well deserved rep for "over policing" during Fibark. One has to assume that boaters are profiled based on the police behaviors in the past. I'm here to tell you that unfortunately at least one young BV cop seems to be on a similar abuse of power edge. Drove back from Salida and the opening "Meet and greet" for Fibark with 3 boats in and on my truck last night. Flashing lights as I pulled into the driveway to drop one off at a friend's place. I had followed her back from Salida at precisely the speed limit. I verbally, but politely, objected to being stopped and soon there were 4 cars there. 45 minutes later, with no ticket cuz I had done nothing wrong, this 63 year old grandfather was allowed to continue on with my life. I will be visiting with the BV police chief about this incident but I hate to think what might have happened were I on a back road or "illegal" in any way. I'm pissed this morning...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. This is a good reminder not to get too complacent, even if you are driving fine, you could get pulled over and harassed for no reason whatsoever. I would be pissed too. You definately should file a complaint.

Did he give you any reason at all as to why he pulled you over?

·
Banned
678 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. This is a good reminder not to get too complacent, even if you are driving fine, you could get pulled over and harassed for no reason whatsoever. I would be pissed too. You definately should file a complaint.

I was pulled over by CHP near the stealth put in for the numbers because my license plate had "sun glare" and the officer couldn't read it. I didn't know what to tell him other than to take it up with the people who make license plates for colorado? LOL…. He was definitely just looking for an excuse to pull me over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Word. Be careful running the gauntlet between BV and Salida. It's not just the town cops but the sheriff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was pulled over by CHP near the stealth put in for the numbers because my license plate had "sun glare" and the officer couldn't read it. I didn't know what to tell him other than to take it up with the people who make license plates for colorado? LOL…. He was definitely just looking for an excuse to pull me over.
Should have told him to get polarized sunglasses as they reduce glare lol

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

He said I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign on 15 mph Cedar Street. Absolutely not true which I told him. Then he said he smelled alcohol on my breath. I had one beer with dinner 4 hours earlier. Finally one of the back up cops apologized for the first guy's "sometimes overly aggressive behavior". I will be talking to the police chief this morning.

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
Watch the CHP for sure too. Last year I got pulled over both Thursday and Friday of Fibark when on my way home from work by two different highway patrol officers for a crack in my windshield. The crack had been exactly the same for 5 years and I had never been stopped for it...

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Wait Chaffee county is writing tickets? Now that is news. Jeez folks this has been going on forever.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait Chaffee county is writing tickets? Now that is news. Jeez folks this has been going on forever.
Actually, we're talking about harassment. And, IMO, that should always be news. Abuse of power is not something we should acquiesce to.

·
Registered
204 Posts
me too

I got a verbal warning about how the tint in my front windshield came down too low... he spotted this and turned around to catch up with me to pull me over.... but the window was the original Toyota matrix factoty windshield.... what the? Kayaks on top ... during fibark ...north of b.v. ... 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I consider someone stopping me for going 5mph over on dry pavement and not reckless as harassment. I believe that two speed traps between BV and Salida is harassment as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's all about the revenue they generate, safety is not their goal and never has been.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts