·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you don't take the trickle charger on the water since you are not charging the battery in this configuration?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes, the charger stays at home.

The battery nests in the bottom of the Pelican, and the other items arrayed on top. You could also pack the whole kit into a .50 Cal ammo can, but I wanted to be damned sure there wouldn't be something to complete the circuit, thus the plastic.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did a Grand trip in Sept. I took a Duralast 600 jumpstarter. 15 days with 4 of us using it and at the end of the trip it still had 48% of its charge left. It only weighs 7 pounds and has a built in USB port plus I took an inverter. It was easy to get my wife's approval for the purchase because after the trip it went in her car for the winter. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
keep in mind you can get a nice stack of generic brand spares for ~$5 each off ebay.

that said, i realize i'm in the rafting gear talk section and the Keep It Simple,Stupid concept will get you nowhere here.;)

good luck.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Generic spares for a go pro? What about for a sony, olympus or nikon P&S? The only part that is universal in the system is the 12v (and the usb)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Battery Only/Go Pro

Hi There - we send our trips with a deep cycle marine battery, and inverter...plus a power strip...We recently had a group of kayakers (9 out of 16) folks, with 3 go pros, they took 2 deep cycle marine batteries, the inverter and power strip, and were set for the duration of their trip in terms of recharging anything they could think of...

Hope this helps!!

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
I saw a thinga mc dohickey in the cascade out fitters fall catalog, the power pot v battery bundle, boil your water it converts heat into dc electric and you can charge your electronics and cook your ramen noodles. Its on my wish list from santa, other than a lump of coal

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like the jump-starter idea. Years ago I used a battery backup for a computer and just disabled the alarm speaker. It worked great but I bet the jump starter would do even better and has a more practical use as well.

For what its worth, this year I used a powermonkey extreme which is waterproof and has a battery you pre-charge at home. On trips less than a week I never drain the battery. On longer trips you recharge the battery from the solar panel during the day with it clipped to the top of your gear pile and then charge in the evenings. I've been reasonably happy with it so far and it comes with adaptors to charge everything I've tried so far (Garmin units, Tri Tronics dog collars, Kyocera and Samsung smart phones, Olympus camera, GoPro, iPod).

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
So people are using an invertor to turn 12VDC into 120VAC into 5VDC? Sounds inefficient!!!

Why not just 12VDC-5VDC car chargers or 12V-USB adapters for your toys? :confused?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MT4Runner - I think a lot of this comes down to the variety of devices you need to charge off of the power source. I have two P&S cameras that don't charge off of USB - they only download off of USB. So for them, I need 120VAC. Granted, I don't take them rafting but one of my friends brought one like that and we couldn't charge it because all we had was 5VDC.

So....in answer to your question, 120VAC is the lowest common denominator. You can plug in AC USB chargers and not have to worry about whether it needs 1A or 2A in order to charge.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
MT4Runner - I think a lot of this comes down to the variety of devices you need to charge off of the power source. I have two P&S cameras that don't charge off of USB - they only download off of USB. So for them, I need 120VAC. Granted, I don't take them rafting but one of my friends brought one like that and we couldn't charge it because all we had was 5VDC.

So....in answer to your question, 120VAC is the lowest common denominator. You can plug in AC USB chargers and not have to worry about whether it needs 1A or 2A in order to charge.
That makes sense.
I have a P&S camera that only had a 120VAC charger...but I seldom use it since I bought a couple extra batteries for it that came in a kit with a 12v/120v charger off eBay. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have two P&S cameras that don't charge off of USB - they only download off of USB. So for them, I need 120VAC. .
Look for replacement batteries from Wasabi Power.
They generally have compatible cells with higher capacity than OEM and frequently come bundled with a charger that works with either 120VAC or 12VDC.
I've got sets for both GoPro, Nikon, and Pentax cameras.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look for replacement batteries from Wasabi Power.
They generally have compatible cells with higher capacity than OEM and frequently come bundled with a charger that works with either 120VAC or 12VDC.
I've got sets for both GoPro, Nikon, and Pentax cameras.
Or just don't take those cameras. I still like the idea of having 120VAC available in that you can always go from 120v to 12 or 5 with adapters....it's harder to go the other way.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a Grand trip in Sept. I took a Duralast 600 jumpstarter. 15 days with 4 of us using it and at the end of the trip it still had 48% of its charge left. It only weighs 7 pounds and has a built in USB port plus I took an inverter. It was easy to get my wife's approval for the purchase because after the trip it went in her car for the winter. :)
This is a great option and I'm looking for something like this now. What I would optimally like is something that fits in an ammo case that has an integrated inverter (as well as the 5v output) in it. I'm seeing a lot of these with integrated air pumps which I don't need and the jumping capability - also don't need that. Anyone find something that fits this bill?

·
Registered
575 Posts
This is a great option and I'm looking for something like this now. What I would optimally like is something that fits in an ammo case that has an integrated inverter (as well as the 5v output) in it. I'm seeing a lot of these with integrated air pumps which I don't need and the jumping capability - also don't need that. Anyone find something that fits this bill?
This was the exact problem I was trying to get around with my build. This is a list of the guts of those units, but subtracting the air pump, cables and shell.

My list, therefore:
- 18 Ah gel cell motorcycle battery
- AC Inverter with USB port
- Trickle Charger
- Cigarette Lighter on clips
- Pelican 1300

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This was the exact problem I was trying to get around with my build. This is a list of the guts of those units, but subtracting the air pump, cables and shell.

My list, therefore:
- 18 Ah gel cell motorcycle battery
- AC Inverter with USB port
- Trickle Charger
- Cigarette Lighter on clips
- Pelican 1300
But the shell is actually one of the selling points. I'm going to do some digging and see what I find. I like the self-contained single unit aspect. I just think that the car jumper application is the wrong place to be looking for these units.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
another vote for Wasabi Power as posted by Malloypc

first thing I do on any battery powered device is check amazon dot com and wasabi power for batteries. So, far excellent service on electronic devices.

I also use one of the battery deals in my truck. jump start vehicles and powers my raft air pump.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
another vote for Wasabi Power as posted by Malloypc

first thing I do on any battery powered device is check amazon dot com and wasabi power for batteries. So, far excellent service on electronic devices.

I also use one of the battery deals in my truck. jump start vehicles and powers my raft air pump.
I'm looking for something that is agnostic of the battery. 110vAC and 5v DC are ubiquitous and can be used for just about ANYONE'S devices - not just the ones you've bought replacement batteries for.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts