Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have your typical 4 inch barrel pump and sometimes I clove hitch the hose so I can strap it to the body and sometimes I stick in dry box if there is room and sometimes it gets buried in the drop bag but I am looking for a more elegant solution.

I am thinking of some kind of bag that opens big enough to get it in and out quickly with a couple of built in straps to restrain the hose a bit. I played around with velcro last night but haven't dialed it in yet.

Anyone have any ideas?
There has to be someone smarter than I out there who has gone through this already.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put my 6 in. barrel pump in a bag you use to ship your golf bags in. I paid $2 for it at a garage sale. Works great when I pack that beast on my boat.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So my k-pump came with a roll-top bag (K-Pump Inflatable Top Off Hand Pump - K-Pump K400 - Bag) that does basically what your looking for. I've tried to think of "real-world" analog but have failed. If you want a silly, non elegant idea, cut a leg off a pair of old jeans and see if it all fits, if so and you or someone you love sews you could either sew it up... or if sewing's an option, make nice, long-slender bag out of some cheap fabric... or even have one of the strap builders make you one if you want to get real fancy...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I use a zippered mesh bag that I also put a few extra cam straps and rope or left over items into. Its the last thing to get strapped to the pile behind the rower and is real handy to get in and out of.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
I bought a K-Pump specifically because it fit in the small space between the top curve of my tube, under the deck, alongside the cooler. This was after trying to keep my barrel pump accessible and unstrapping it from the gear pile and setting it aside and realizing the next morning it must have gone overboard while derigging.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but Elk - how do you like the k-400? I like the high & low volume versatility in a small pump. Seems easy to use and switch from high to low volume & vice versa. I like my k-100 and their custy service has been great, but if I needed to pump a raft with a k100, I don't think my arms could withstand the strokes, and they are conditioned for 'those kind' of strokes😏

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Renaissance Redneck
1,264 Posts
I use a long thin bag that came with a camp chair. It has a draw string on top with a cord toggle and I keep a velcro strap around the bottom below the hose elbow so I don't have to take it out of the bag to use it. Just slide the bag down enough to get the hose out and it stays bunched up around the bottom while in use.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hijack, but Elk - how do you like the k-400? I like the high & low volume versatility in a small pump.
Hijack away this can be the raft geek boat pump thread. I really don't care. :eek:

And elkhaven and lab what I have in mind is a hybrid of those two. I just didn't know it until I saw the suggestions. Thanks.

To those that have referenced already made ones. First I didn't actual know, never looked for I guess, that anybody made one so I got some ideas there too. Thank you.

No more money in the rafting budget this year. I have thread, a sewing machine that was never intended for webbing and thick stuff and a can do attitude.

And I wanted something to fit my exact pump with nothing extra. It will sit close to the top of the gear pile on back and I want it tight. If I figure it out I will post a pic. Thanks for all the suggestions.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
When you have the budget, I'd have Jack make you a slightly larger dry bag that rolls from the wide end with D rings on each end. No more water in the pump and it will protect it. I use the mesh duffel, however, because I have one.

K-Pump people - if you ever have a bad enough bit of boat damage and need to regularly pump from within the boat while you float out you'll be screwed unless your valves are on the inside of the boat. Also a reminder to those considering them: they don't work with old military valves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Also a reminder to those considering them: they don't work with old military valves.

hmmm...interesting. I guess no one told my Hyside that the kpump and mil valves don't work together....or my uncle's Riken.

Guess Ill break the news to them and start blowing up by mouth now...:rolleyes:

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,263 Posts
K-Pump people - if you ever have a bad enough bit of boat damage and need to regularly pump from within the boat while you float out you'll be screwed unless your valves are on the inside of the boat. QUOTE]

It can be fitted with a hose. And I can, and have, run on two of three chambers in my cat tube. I also like that the K-Pump can be operated with two hands. I suspect that if you are solo and need to regularly pump your tubes while rowing then you too are screwed :)

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
hmmm...interesting. I guess no one told my Hyside that the kpump and mil valves don't work together....or my uncle's Riken.

Guess Ill break the news to them and start blowing up by mouth now...:rolleyes:
They make a 100 ( I think) with a check valve. Maybe that's what you have. Otherwise it's air in, air out. I'd be interested to hear otherwise because I've tried this and K Pump has this info on their website.

Don't get me wrong - I love the K Pump. I use a mini with my IK and can fully inflate or top off easy with it. I just re greased it and it works like new. They replaced my blue bag for $6 recently!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but Elk - how do you like the k-400? I like the high & low volume versatility in a small pump. Seems easy to use and switch from high to low volume & vice versa. I like my k-100 and their custy service has been great, but if I needed to pump a raft with a k100, I don't think my arms could withstand the strokes, and they are conditioned for 'those kind' of strokes��

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Edit:

Roddy,
I don't have a k400 (just posted the first link I found), like you I run the k100... I also have an old bravo 2 bellows pump. My rig lives on a trailer so it's rare that I have to inflate it. While it would be a PIA to do with the k100 I couldn't justify a bigger more expensive pump and if I need to field inflate it the bellows pump does pretty well at getting close, the k100 finishes it.

Randaddy, my 100 has a check valve and worked fine on my old hyside. and I purposely put 3 of my valves on the inside of my new boat so I could inflate on the water. It works OK, gets tireing on the arm... If they made a badass bellows pump that would go to 3psi, I'd be happy - loved being able to two fist the pbr's while inflating :)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
there is a little sewing shop in challis that I had make a bag for the lid for my johnny partner. they do a good job. they make a lot of custom covers for outdoor stuff, like your boat, bbq, or table.. I think I might have them make a bag that would fit my pump but with just a draw string.. So a lot like the lawn chair bag but with waterproof material.

·
Registered
811 Posts
K-pump & military valves

Also a reminder to those considering them: they don't work with old military valves.
I use mine on military valves. Perhaps the problem is how you operate the valve? Open the valve until it just begins to leak air. Close it slightly. Now air can go in, but not come out. No need for a check valve in the pump.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts