Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I finally did the deed and bought my first "real" raft. Thanks everyone who helped me bite the bullet....

Looking for advice for add-ons amd essentials that I will need as well as rigging suggestions..... stuff like rod tubes, dry bags, boxes, size of cooler etc... Floor eventually.

Ive taken it out multiple times on the Upper C but can quite figure out what it needs...

13ft RMR with DRE fishing frame. Front and back lean bars. Poly deck w/drop bag beneath front fishermans seat.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Definitely missing a large cooler full of beer. You'll need at least a 120 qt. and a couple of three cases topped off with ice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
stripping baskets...

One of the things I thought was ridiculous when I first saw them and now realize that they are almost mandatory are stripping baskets for catching your line when standing and fishing...It is amazing how many places your line will catch and hang on while you are trying to fish...

That and drink holders...

LR

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah stripping basket up front. It makes life much easier when you hook up. take a measurement of the interior to see what size cooler you can fit inside the boat. You don't have the room for a dry box with the poly...just dry bags under the poly deck. If you want to do muti day trips you may want to ditch the poly and get a dry box??? You can mount the swivel seat on top the dry box. Captain bay sling/boxes are cool too more storage.
Rod holders are sweet too. You can try to make your own?
GOOD LUCK STEVE
Oh Yeah drink holders!!!!!

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Captains

Photos of your rigs would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely going to do a stripping basket. Phil at DRE laughed at me when I told him instead of spending 160 on one ill just attache a laundry basket... HA!

Still deciding on how i want to do the rod holders- saw a guy with a 14 ft rmr and he had one big 4inch pvc hanging off the side. Seems like tangle city. But with the poly deck it makes it impossible to open and get under the deck with tubes ontop, which is how most are rigged.. any suggestions on that?

What captains slingbox are you talking about? on the sides in the bay where my legs are? How do you rig that?

Thanks for all the help already.... please keep them coming!

Stevo

·
Registered
525 Posts
Things I have in my boat when rigged for fishing.

1. Rod holders keep rods from being broken. Rods need to be in you hand or put away. Rods left laying around the boat have short life spans. I use two sections of 1 1/2" x 10 ft PVC pipe strapped to the boat. There is a 3/4" wide slot cut the whole length. There is a 2" wide x 1" Tee slot cut at each end. Each pipe can hold two rods, one placed at each end. The rod slips into the slot and the reel foot slides down into the Tee locking it place.
2. Cooler, your choice
3. Dry box of some kind for easy access, I use a small Action Packer because it fits under the front seat.
4. Long handled net. Long handle lets you reach out over the oars or over the bow of the boat.
5. Bow rope and sturdy sand stake. Z-drag pulleys.
6. First aid kit with hook cutting pliers, patch kit, small tool kit, spare valve, spare oarlock. Things that are a inconvenience if you need them, but a day ruined if you don't have one with you in the boat.
7. Big Cargo bag. I have an 'Everything Bag' that fits the rear bay. All the loose stuff on a trip goes into the big mesh bag and I only have to cinch the top for it all to be secured for a flip. Also keeps all those loose things from tangling lines.
8. Stripping basket? I have one that straps around my waist, sometimes I use it but mostly not. I do make an effort to keep things stowed neat. It is amazing how many potential tangle points are on a typical backpack.
9. I keep a small towel handy to wipe hands and spills, it also works to place over a rough object to create a smooth tangle free surface.
10. PFD with fishing pockets. Pockets big enough for fly boxes tippet spools and junk.
11. Captain's bag. some kind of easy access storage within reach of the rower. For sunglasses, sunscreen permit papers, maps, emergency whistle, wallets and other stuff you need quick access to. I use an ammo can bolted under my seat. Some use a zippered mesh bag that straps between rails. Think of it at a glove box for the raft.

·
FISHTARD
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod tubes, I rig them at the side of the frame just like a spare oar.
so are the slots on the top? or the side? Would love to see a pic! How to rig the tubes have had me stumped for a while now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can get slings to hang ammo cans between the cross bars on either side of your legs in the captains footwell.
ROCKET BOX SLING

Another option I use and really like is a captains bag. Same idea rigged on the cross bars. I really like mine for easy to get to stuff that is ok to get wet.
CAPTAINS STOW BAG

·
Registered
525 Posts
The ends of the PVC pipe look like this...

The slot is on the top and runs the full length. I attach to the side of my boat in the same position as a spare oar. I cut double slits in the side of the pipe to accept cam straps. I placed the cam strap on the sides so the straps don't interfere with the access to the big slot on top. These are located to take advantage of the D-ring locations on my rubber.

To place a rod inside you hold it reel side up, parallel to the pipe. Let the rod fall into the slot and slide the handle around until the foot of the reel seat slips into the small Tee at the end. The weight of the reel causes it to flop to one side, locking it into the cut out. I add a small loop of bungee that can slide over the butt for extra security.

You can place or remove a rod with one hand.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Riverboatworks is fabricating two and three rod holders. They are off to the side out of harms way and don't interfere with gear. I know first hand the jig they use and cutting that conduit cleanly isn't as easy as one may think.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the rod tubes that sit up ontop of the frame, I think they make it difficult to exit one side of the boat and just basically get in the way. I've always done something like Kengore suggested except I only cut my slot to where the first strap hits. I forgot to take a pic of my set up this morning but it sits between my spare oar and the frame...Also don't over look folding your rods in half and putting them in normal reel-on type rod holders, it takes just a second and saves a lot of clutter around the boat. When I'm fishing I usually have a nymph rig and either a streamer or dryfly rig set up (depending on what's happening). I'll have another spare or two broken down. So having storage for one full rod/fishermen is plenty... break the rest down, especially dry/streamer rods they're really easy to fold.

This is what I'd look into on your rig....

View attachment 9267

The red line would be my first choice on your boat as it appears that there is a gap between your rear frame (and casting braces) and your side rails....i.e. slide a tube into that gap from front to back. The little black lines indicate areas I would think about cutting slots in. to aid in stowing rods. I would think one on each side, one set up for use from the front and one from the back. Putting two rods in one tube (from opposite ends) is at best a tangle waiting to happen and at worst a broken tip). You could bend the far ends (opposite the user) to follow you frame if necessary.

The orange line is what kengore is talking about and what I use. The issue you'll have is length. It appears your frame is around 7' (assuming 8.5 or 9' oars). Your rod tubes will run about as long as your oars if not a little longer, so there will be some sticking out past the bends of your tubes.

stripping baskets in my opinion are a complete waste of money and space. Do you stand, facing and fishing in one direction all day? Or do you turn and fish river left, river right, back and forth moving as the rower puts you on water or the river changes? If you're right handed and fishing river left you will be missing your basket by 180 degrees... if your facing forward you'll either have to hold your whole rod and arm in front of you or strip forwards to get your shit in the basket... if your casting river right you may get proper use from your basket. Keep trying without baskets for a while, you'll learn (and teach your clients/buddies) proper line management. It's a good habit anyways.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Here is a pic from another thread showing, part of my rod holder set up, if that helps at all. My spare oars are not on in this pic, but essentially the handle lies even with the real and hangs below the rod tube.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I never take a sand stake (fish do not like vibration from hammering it in the ground), bow rope or Z drag kit unless on a white water river where need to self rescue is a possibility. Any rope is a fish hook magnet, avoid as much as possible and the same goes for mesh netting of any kind.
I always carry a anchor for stopping to fish from boat and to keep the boat beached while wade fishing. Two small dry boxes to hold rain gear for everyone, one dry change of clothing for the occasional swimmer and extra warm gear if there is a risk of the weather turning bad on you is a great idea. I use Vittles vaults. They are cheap and there is nothing to snag your line on. A well stocked cooler and first aid kit. Long handle landing net ( rubber). Water, water and more water for drinking.TP can be very useful. Spare rod and reel in a rod case (just in case). life jackets for all. Hats, sunscreen, bug spray and etc. Home made rod holders and spare oar.
Unless doing an overnight that is my entire list of what's in my boat when on a day fishing trip.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 2 rod racks side to side on my raft. Usually have a spey rod in one, then two 9' or 9'6" rods in the other. Input em back to back, haven't had issues with tangling but I take my time putting them in so they're not just throw in. I've added an elbow and extension so no rod tips are exposed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really do like the rod holders from Riverboatworks in Salida....the tubes themselves are no big deal, but they make their own hardware to attach the tubes to your frame....11/4 or 11/2 tubing......my raft stays up in the mountains at my inlaws on the trailer for the summer, though covered by a cheap auto cover.....I found it still gets really HOT under the cover and that with the rod tubes on the boat under the cover the tubes actually warp/melt almost and get distorted enough to be dysfunctional.....so I have to take the tubes off and put under the trailer when stored so they dont "distort"...I have re made rod tubes....I find they are easy to cut with a hand held jigsaw and a little sandpaper to smooth em....like the Riverboat works ones I like a long groove for easy rod entrance into the tube and a velcro strap in front of the reel to hold it in place....the back end is not cut out so the the butt end of the rod can fit under it and be velcroed in front......so I end up having a long groove in the tube, not just a little slot in the end...for easy access.......Riverboatworks also has short/butt end rod holders that swivel to hold a rod more upright .....check out their website......I have an NRS 11/4 frame and they make stuff for 11/2 frames like DRE and their own stuff also......again, I highly recommend their rod holders.....CTR

·
Registered
90 Posts
If that is your idea of a Bare Bones fishing raft, I'd hate to ever row your "Full On" rig while you fish. Just for reference, with that much crap on your raft you are solidly missing out on some of the best sections at the best flows. Don't buy into what all the guides over at Minturn anglers have on their boats, they need to have all the goodies to look good in front of their clients.

As for the rod tubes, I rig mine like a spare oar, outside the oar tower, hanging down from the frame, that way I get full access to compartments, ability to jump around on tubes if need be to land fish etc. Oh yeah, for a fishing rig, a soft day cooler is way more useful than slamming whatever the biggest yeti you can fit is. Think about how annoying it is to get up from your rowing seat every 10 minutes to pass out beers.

If you are a guide at Minturn, I take everything back, put all the heavy bling you can on there for tips sake(never want a client to think its the boats fault he isn't setting the hook)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
NRS sells a cheap, workable stripping basket. I have made several of my own using a plastic dishpan with slots in it for a cam strap. If you put a dozen or so plastic "fingers" in the bottom, it works a lot better at keeping your line tangle free. I use weed whacker cord about 2-3" long. Melt the end and push em up thru the bottom with a dab of shoe goo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

1 - 20 of 28 Posts