Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the Rogue this last week and it was very beautiful this time of year.I was camping at Tacoma and since they had removed the battery from the bear fence and there were no signs of bear, I thought our food was safe. We stashed our coolers and buckets under a tree and crashed out for the night. We awoke to find we had been robbed during the night. The buckets had been rolled down the hill and our coolers had been emptied. Luckily it was our last day on the river. Amongst some of the things they took were two baggies of smoked chicken, two ripe avocados, butter, cheese and some granola bars. They had unzipped one cooler and emptied the other through the velcro hatch on the top. I found where they had partied down under a big tree about a hundred feet up the hill. There were a lot more than just our food wrappers there. This was not their first rodeo. I believe it was a band of raccoons, however they didn't leave a calling card. I would suggest using the bear/racoon box next timeat Tacoma.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Frito bandito got us as well.
I didn't think to look for the battery (duh), the ranger had told us the fences were down, so when we saw them we thought they were live....
Fortunately they didnt get much. I was amazed that they were able to unscrew a gamma seal lid.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Masks

Were they wearing masks?

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
There is a bear fence and you left your food unattended and unsecure? That's probably why they've had bear problems - people that have no sense. Hope you feel good about the animals you helped kill.

Please don't come camp in Colorado.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well said Randaddy! I was amazed at the intelligence of the above posters, even more amazed that they were so blown away with their findings that they needed to share their brilliance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is a bear fence and you left your food unattended and unsecure? That's probably why they've had bear problems - people that have no sense. Hope you feel good about the animals you helped kill.

He did say the battery was removed from the bear fence.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just a little perspective.... 50 rogue trips in the past 6 years. I be never had a bandit successfully take a single piece of food or trash. I've never used a bear fence but we bring dogs. I have however listened to a treed cub 50 feet from the kitchen for many hours.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well i do feel like a fool now. Thanks folks. I guess there are no excuses. We did put all our stuff in the enclosure, made sure the switch was on and locked it up. Didn't think to look in the friggin box. Every thing was in locked cooler or gamma bkt. Don't know how much more i could have done. Sorry.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well i do feel like a fool now. Thanks folks. I guess there are no excuses. We did put all our stuff in the enclosure, made sure the switch was on and locked it up. Didn't think to look in the friggin box. Every thing was in locked cooler or gamma bkt. Don't know how much more i could have done. Sorry.

I always learn my best lessons from my worst mistakes! Live and learn and kudos for owning up imo

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Jared
733 Posts
We have camped there before, but the fence was always working for us. There is a bear box up by the trail, and a food hoist also. I doubt the hoist would help with the raccoons, and the bear boxes only hold so much.
Every group is different, but I doubt that with the fence out of service my group could get everything required in the bear box or hoisted above ground. We pretty much rely on the bear fences being operational.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So somebody posts a warning to reduce the risk of this happening again and a bunch of you chastise the guy the for his mistakes! Nice, I wonder how many warnings will get posted in the near future? I sure hope you never learn anything the hard way!

·
Registered
525 Posts
There has been increased bear activity on many of my favorite rivers. As the ranger at the Smith pointed out there have been bears in the ecosystem long before there were boaters. It is not the bears fault that they take advantage of a new food source. The only solution is for us boaters to clean up our act and not provide a free lunch.

So educating the boating population on good bear-safe protocol needs to be a high priority in our community. As a teacher I can testify that publicly chastising someone and calling them a fool is not a successful method of education and is more likely to achieve a negative response than a positive one.

Kudos to Ezcruzr for sharing his 'learn from our mistakes' experience so that others like myself can avoid similar problems.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
There has been increased bear activity on many of my favorite rivers. As the ranger at the Smith pointed out there have been bears in the ecosystem long before there were boaters. It is not the bears fault that they take advantage of a new food source. The only solution is for us boaters to clean up our act and not provide a free lunch.

So educating the boating population on good bear-safe protocol needs to be a high priority in our community. As a teacher I can testify that publicly chastising someone and calling them a fool is not a successful method of education and is more likely to achieve a negative response than a positive one.

Kudos to Ezcruzr for sharing his 'learn from our mistakes' experience so that others like myself can avoid similar problems.
Well said! Sorry for my chastisement of the chastisers :oops:

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is pretty funny. We were on the rogue last week. On our last night at clay hill just downstream from tacoma, a gang of em came in our camp around 3am. We feed them a bunch of ganja food. Sounds like those rascals got the munchies and headed up stream.
I wouldn't pay much attention to the Colorado crew. These guys dont realize animals get hungry too?

·
Registered
358 Posts

This is a valid point. Spoke with a rogue river ranger last year. She said each year thousands of raccons have to be killed due to poor camp behavior. Millions was spent on the raccoon relocation program. When will people learn. The plight of the coon is in our hands people! .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, I was just trying to give people a heads up. In my 50 to 60 trips down the Rogue, I have never had any problems with racoons.I have always taken precautions to protect my food from the bear during their season. Good luck fitting all your stuff in the bear box. The bear fence is not operational and it looks like the racoons have already dismantled the food hoist, as if it would work for them. I however did not mean to set the scene for some young child to get malled to death by a raccoon. I guess next time I'll take my own fence charger.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Rogue is my backyard river, we broke down and bought portable electric fences, if the exclosures aren't operating or we stay at camps without them we set them up around our boats. They were very useful in Alaska and in Montana. It is an easy mistake to put stuff in an enclosure and assume they are working. I don't understand why some feel the need to take a superior attitude about this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts