Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those stern rowers out there. I have a 12' Otter, used to have a center seat oar frame, garage fire melted frame, and i picked up a stern frame and ran a little bit last year at VERY low water conditions. Of course I noticed some handling differences, but did ok at those levels.

I had planned on growing my skills along with the increased flows this year but the river seems to have not read my plan memo I sent.

The complication sets in as my chickenspit wife... aka- front ballast, is now unwilling to go hold down the front end in her accustomed fashion. When you guys do class 3 do you put ballast in the front or let it ride high perched on the back?

My valiant dog will almost certainly ride close to me which will only make me more butt heavy.

If it matters this will be on the upper CO at 2400 currently, and my concern is that a hit with the front on any wall of consequence and i would be set up perfectly for a stern first dip/flip. (which I have never done and am ok with that)

I have requested replacement ballast but apparently all my friends have plans on living forever and dying in their beds...

I am well aware that I should have done a solo trip at lower levels to get the "feel" for the lighter front end, but my ballast was very un-willing to let me go have fun by myself at low flows, while now she is just the opposite, who knew that a woman could be fickle??

Thinking of going state bridge to twin bridges for my first run even though it is a bit more of a drive it would take several potential walls out of the murphy's basket of tricks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, not really on the frame slide, my thoughts on ballast ws to put two 48 qt coolers in front of the thwart and fill as needed with water, what with water being rather prevalent this year, and easily adjustable as needed, probably have room for 3 if need be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ballast.
You want your boat to sit pretty much level on the water. I would think about switching out to a center frame again, when you can, just more versatile
and handles better, at least in my book( opinions and mileage will very).

With the river trips, you got to just “tell her” what you are going to do. “ Hey honey, I’m going boating tomorrow, love to have ya come along if you want”.
Just live your life how you want, and if she’s down with it, great, if not, well that’s just how it is, it’s your life, and yer the one who has to die when it’s time for ya to die, so don’t allow others to run it for you.
My view point, at least.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Rear mount frames are meant for assisted paddling or fishing. If you can't find consistent "ballast" get rid of the rear mount and buy a new, mainstream, frame.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I go the 2 keg route I may also pick up more friends (ballast) too!

Yes wife training is high on my list, shock collar has been ordered...

As is a center seat row frame, because yes your leverage is all compromised when on the rear, last year was fine as it was such a low water year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rear mount frames are meant for assisted paddling or fishing. If you can't find consistent "ballast" get rid of the rear mount and buy a new, mainstream, frame.
+1 for this plan. Rear mounted frames are a blast for paddle assist crews but not versatile for your 'go to' frame set-up.

But-since that is what you have right now-Get some weight on the front end to level out the boat and you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
If I go the 2 keg route I may also pick up more friends (ballast) too!

Yes wife training is high on my list, shock collar has been ordered...

I tried the shock collar method on my wife, it left me with a black eye every time I pushed the shock button. Not recommended.

Ballast for sure, and ditch the rear frame. you can make a nice 2x6 day frame out of wood and bolt on oarstands for less than $75 bucks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Maybe you can put the stern frame around the middle and strap it to thwarts if you have them. Otherwise let me know when you add the 15.5 gal of ballast. Not sure how much help I’ll be though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well with a 48 qt cooler and 2-3 gallon lidded buckets it was just good enough to get me in a pickle. I went for the big hole at yarmony and that sucker folded up like a hinge, sprung back and launched my fat ass into the hole head first!

Now as I was communing with the fishes approximately 20' down It occurred to me that I had never fallen out of a raft by myself and my dog was not going to be much help getting me back in, upon arrival back to the air source I confirmed this predicament while puking out a bit of 33 degree water.

A more prudent man would have thought this through, but prudence never being my strong suit I was wondering how you veterans handle this situation with not a raft in sight, two oars lost (one permanently) and a dog that wants to lick your face and ask why ya out there swimming Dad?

What a great run though, except for the lost oar.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
squirrelnuts...

Well with a 48 qt cooler and 2-3 gallon lidded buckets it was just good enough to get me in a pickle. I went for the big hole at yarmony and that sucker folded up like a hinge, sprung back and launched my fat ass into the hole head first!

Now as I was communing with the fishes approximately 20' down It occurred to me that I had never fallen out of a raft by myself and my dog was not going to be much help getting me back in, upon arrival back to the air source I confirmed this predicament while puking out a bit of 33 degree water.

A more prudent man would have thought this through, but prudence never being my strong suit I was wondering how you veterans handle this situation with not a raft in sight, two oars lost (one permanently) and a dog that wants to lick your face and ask why ya out there swimming Dad?

What a great run though, except for the lost oar.
You think you had a bad day. It could be worse!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
A Nelly ladder and oar leashes. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm getting nothing here or on a general google on Nelly ladder, would you please expand ?

Oar leashes were not important once but now suddenly are on the "to do" list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks caver dan, as after regaling the princess with my tales of fish communion it would appear solo trips are all that is in my future... Ive explained to her she drives a mean shuttle, giving me even more time on river with the true love (dog).

Ive gotta get back into the middle of the boat, for a year like we have coming our way I had no leverage at all when it really was needed.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Custom wood frames.....

I tried the shock collar method on my wife, it left me with a black eye every time I pushed the shock button. Not recommended.

Ballast for sure, and ditch the rear frame. you can make a nice 2x6 day frame out of wood and bolt on oarstands for less than $75 bucks.
I'm totally surprised with all the talent and skill on Mountain Buzz that we have not seen a very ingenious, beautifully customized wooden frame. Wooden rowing frames were used on the biggest, nastiest white water and largest and longest river boats made, for years. Many early river runners used then with no problems, myself included, plus they have a very naturally feel to them that I can't explain. I think as the evolution of river gear goes, some boatmen will head back to the cool wood frames on their boats. Not targeting river equipment stores, I think their pretty cool too.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Been there recently, swimming, solo, no help.

21" tubes too.

I freed a frame strap, made it a long loop for a step, and hauled myself back in.

took about 1/4 mile and I lost me shorts in a hole, hanging off the upstream oar tower. Almost flipped the boat back on top of me.

The townies holding a safety meeting river side sure got an eye full!

them ladders look nifty.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My lady uses her ladder to pee off the side of the boat. ;)

If I'm really scared......I don't need no stinking ladder :mrgreen: but the older I get the more I use it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts