Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I did it once at 175 many years ago, boy did that suck. I feel 250 is bare minimum, but 300 is still pretty low.

If you go at 15o be ready to sacrifice your boat.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I also feel anything below 300 isn't great but that's coming from a guy that ran the numbers today at 450 cfs

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah, I scraped down it last year at 190ish. Got the itch and trying to convince myself its not that boney...

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
numbers today at 450?? are you sure about that flow. i don't even think the gorge is flowing that high yet. i think you ran the numbers lower than you think :) - maybe half that flow.

i actually ran bailey once at 150! a friend, who's name i won't mention, but it sounds like muscle and starts with an R, convinced me to go. it was MAJOR boat abuse getting in and out of the "canyon" but once in it was good. NOT WORTH IT THOUGH.

we're hitting upper taos box sunday. and saturday and sunday of next weekend too. if you've been down it you could probably join us but if not, well it's not my call - badkins is taking us down.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you might be right but I checked the flow on the AW website and there were about 3 groups on the river today. It felt like about 350-400cfs IMHO

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bryan, are you guys leaving tommorrow morning or tonight. You don't have more room do ya? I'd like to head down if you do. If not, no worries.

Kent

720320 3636

·
Registered
81 Posts
You can get down it at 150, but it'll take a toll on your boat. You also need to consider ICE this time of year -

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
If the numbers is running at 450cfs, its not making it downstream. The water is dissappearing before it reaches parkdale.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Kent, sorry didn't get your message till today (monday). if it's still running, i'm sure people will be heading down next weekend. we may go back if nothing else is running (such as cross mtn). according to the locals, it's not snowmelt, but actually a release - water owed to NM - so it's hard to say if it'll run. (this is a little odd because the graph shows the water levels cycling like a typical snowmelt pattern???)

but the run is very high quality and the take-out hike is a nothing less than what it's been described as, but isn't too bad in the end.

email or call sometime 970-310-4157

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Man, glad you guys had a good time. I think Josh and I might head down this evening for a tuesday trip if it stays good. If not, I might have to wait a few weeks. I figured you guys were already gone, but thought I might catch a straggler leaving late from Denver.

Cheers
Kent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts