Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like seanlee's idea of of having some sort of record of the carnage from the weekend, so, I decided to create this thread. Did you fuck up First Falls? Did you swim Supermax? Did you get defeated at Deer Creek? Let's hear the war stories! So, there you were..................

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
I got there late in the day, after floating the Chutes with the family. I struggled to find people sober enough at 4 pm for a second lap. Ended up boating with folks I knew only virtually, including a first timer in a play boat. Good thing he had a good roll, 'cause his brace wasn't in yesterday. 6-7 rolls before reaching Supermax.

Everything else went clean. Another member rolled in trash can.

I fired up SM for the first time in a few years and managed to catch the elusive 5th Eddy.

Great day. Great to get on the river and make some new friends.

Vid from SM
YouTube - Bailey 8/14/10

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Is it new skewl to just bomb it, instead of picking it apart in a pussy like fashion?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think I counted six including the right eddy turn after the first hole. Hell ya. Supa fun day... I saw some carnage so better fess up or sean lee is going to call you out. Dave you'll know new skewl when you see the video of my line.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine

I got some for ya all. I flipped in some manky water below trash can. Set up to roll and took a huge hit to my head and shoulder. So hard that I blacked out. Came too upside down underwater on the back deck and was barely coherent enough to pull my skirt. Got more beat up trying to make the shore. Badly bruised shoulder and wicked headache to go with a slightly bruised ego. thanks to the Shred Ready T-Dub for probably saving my life. Saw two really really good boaters drinking bootie beers at the takeout just after I downed my bootie PBR. Thanks to Ian and the Craw for an awesome takeout party. Lots of boaters.....Atom....

·
Registered
986 Posts
I swam like a goddamn fish yesterday in the first falls, the river always teaches you to respect it. I gave that drop zero concern and ended up swimming because of it, and swimming fast. I think I was only in there for 20 seconds at most and figured I would have to swim out anyways so I might as well swim early. I was able to push off my boat and get some handholds on the left wall to pull myself out, so the swim wasn't bad at all and everyone there got all my shit (thanks ian for fishing the boat out). After getting all my shit back, I went back up and ran it again!
Dave that was a sick line I've gotta try that next time, you looked in complete control the whole way and styled the shit outta it!
o yeah sean is still a pussy

·
Registered
348 Posts
Got pinned with a sieve less then a foot down stream. Buddy managed to get there and pull my boat over before I pulled my skirt and floated into the sieve. Wasn't paying attention and found myself upside down against the undercut wall just after SM, got my paddle pulled outta my hand, so I hung out upside down in my kayak until I was out and away from the undercut. Pulled my skirt and booked it for the far bank.

Dave, I thought that was some very skilled paddling down SM. Nice Job.

Great day of paddling.

·
Have paddled a Quest
102 Posts
It was indeed a great line, Dave- glad I got to see it in person. Great fun boating with you! :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
HA. I love those dissing on 1st falls. That thing is a bitch. I was talking with some old schoolers earlier this summer and we thought it may have changed in the last few years. The line has gotten thinner. I've witnessed at least 10 swims there from talented boaters.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
When I first ran Bailey in '96 it was all but standard to run first falls. Something changed in the wood pile just above on the right in '99 or thereabouts making it something everyone but Forrest and the like would portage. Seems to ebb and flow since, but never reverted to how straight forward it was 15 years ago.

And yes Evan I counted 6 eddies too; it was only the 5th one that seemed worth mentioning.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I swam like a sea bass today! Storie to come tomorrow when I sober up. Had a great time though and met some sik ass boaters that are funnier than hell. Thanks for grabbin' my shit southern gents!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I know nothing about boating this type of water, but I liked your methodical ways, Dave. Reminded me of the way I get down a technical ski mountaineering route. Like a surgeon. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts