Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the word? It looks like the gage is startin' to move. We gonna get sum love?

·
Registered
539 Posts
what roberts tunnel guage? there's a guage on the north fork at grant, one at bailey and another near pine i believe. however i don't think there's a guage that measures the discharge from the tunnel.

-dan

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
http://www.dwr.state.co.us/Hydrology/flow_graph.asp?ID=ROBTUNCO&MTYPE=DISCHRG

ROBTUNCO -- ROBERTS TUNNEL AT EAST PORTAL NEAR GRANT

Is this gage at the mouth of the tunnel? It seems to me that there's gotta be a gage on the Roberts, otherwise Denver wouldn't be able to get credit for transbasin water.

By the way Dan, we still gotta get some beers headed your way for your coordination with Denver Water. It's rad that you got that hookup going.
:D
Peace-
-Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Why is it every year we hear about Bailey. Who cares if we are "Gonna get some Love" It will reun when everything else is done. Pick a better run to bitch about. :twisted:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why is it every year we hear about Bailey. Who cares if we are "Gonna get some Love"
That's the dumbest statement I've seen here in a while. "Hey you boaters, why do you care if there's water in a creek so you can actually paddle- suckers."

Get your fat ass back on the couch and STFU.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Back to the topic at hand....

Yup, despite assertions to the contrary, it looks like water is being diverted through Roberts. Cool. Couple that with natural flow, it could be nice.

But, I'm concerned the tunnel flow will be turned off as fast as it was turned on. It may just be a maintenence thing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
IT RISING!!! looks like a hell of an ark upwards!

I don't want to jinx it, but looks like it's gonna keep going towards 3hun.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I always preferred the Pine gauge on USGS - it seems to be a little more accurate at every flow level:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/co/nwis/uv/?site_no=06706400&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

It does look like it's coming back down, but if it's still within spitting distance of 200 then it might be fun for an early season low-water run. If I wasn't leaving town this weekend, I'd hit it up. Have fun; hope it holds up for a few days at least.

**Update- it's cool how the graph above pulls in the most recent data...
Looks like it's climbing towards 300 (10pm), which is a good time. Dammit, I wish I wasn't getting on a plane! Bailey warm-up with an Escalante chaser? ooohhh.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love Bailey

Why do people get down on Bailey, yeah sure it is a long shuttle, only has a few good drops, and most people beat that horse late into the season. But when my only other options are a possible Escalante run CrossMountain or Gore, a semi local run like Bailey sounds great. So all of you complaining about Bailey just shut the F up, its better than being in the car for 3-5 hours each way.

Now if people are getting excited about Bailey in June, well then they have some problems. Black Rock is a far superior after work run.

Speaking of driving, what the hell is up with gas prices? Didn't we win that war in Iraq? Gas should be free right now.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
So all of you complaining about Bailey just shut the F up, its better than being in the car for 3-5 hours each way.
Ummm... no its not. The whitewater, scenery, and overall experience will never compare to Escalante, regardless of how far the drive is. Half the fun of kayaking is the places you go to and all the shit that goes wrong on the drive. For something local Bailey is okay, but it certainly isn't 'better' than any of the runs you listed regardless of drive time. But, sadly you wouldn't know that because you won't drive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I admit I got carried away with that one, I am just trying to convince myself it is not ok to drive all the way out to escalante from Denver for one day of boating.

But Bailey is great... for a local run... when nothing else is running... and you can't convince yourself to drive 4 hours

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Chatfield release

Looks like all water coming from Roberts -> NFSP -> Waterton is being stored in Strontia Springs... Guessing, based on Dan's comments, that Denver will run that through Chatfield this weekend down to Denver. Yummy metro South Platte river flush, 1000 cfs baby, what's an eddy fence called there - ass juice fence?, sick sick gnar gnar braw. Better sew your ears closed, grab a tall boy and get on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts