Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
South Fork gage is quite a ways up from the confluence. Roberts tunnel, which is an important component of NF (Baily) is dry

see

see
ROBERTS TUNNEL AT EAST PORTAL NEAR GRANT (ROBTUNCO)

Likely most of the flow in NF is coming in below baily in the foxton stretch. Aside from the Roberts, Baily can run on Guenalla Pass melt, but I don't think that's really happening yet (hope not!)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The pine gauge on the north fork shows 3.2 ft, but no cfs reading. 3.2 ft = 92 cfs according to a staging table from the USGS, so bailey has about 90 cfs at the takeout if the gauge height is correct. The grant gauge on the north fork is reading 32 cfs, so this is about what is running at the put in. The rest of the unaccounted volume is probably coming in from the side creeks on the north and south forks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On the subject of flows, what is a good level for a first run, walking SuperMax and Deer Creek? I have seen some posts in the past, and was guessing around 350-400.

david

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Sorry about the graph there guys, previously, you could link the graph image right from the State's server and it would continue to show flows for only one gage...something's changed...that's not the roberts gage above.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, 350-400 is a perfect level for a first trip. IMO, Walking Deer Creek is kind of a pain. It's also one of the most fun rapids. I'll run it down to 270 and still have a nice time.

Kent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts