Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions about Bailey:

When Dillion is near full, as it is now, Bailey runs early, doesn't it? In April?

I've heard that Deer Creek Rapid causes the most dislocated shoulder. Any one know why? Is it that slide that causes problems? If people flip on the slide, do they pop the shoulder out when trying to roll or just by rubbing along the bottom?

Anything new with that tree below Supermax?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Good in coffee. Steadies the hand before surgery. Also not bad in milk before bedtime...nightcap. Coats the stomach.

·
Registered
911 Posts
BSOE you are hilarious.

Deer Creek rapid is just a good ol class V (V- in my humble opinion), but being upside down in there would be lucky to just come out with a dislocation...

Not the hardest moves, but it's super fast and if it goes wrong it's gonna happen amazingly quick.

Beyond that... as the great shultz would say... "I KNOW NOTHNG!" of overly dislocated situations.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
BSOE is talking about Baileys Irish Cream, a liqueur. Quite tasty and in this situation very funny.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Whether Bailey runs has alot more to do with Denver's water needs than it has to do with how full Dillon is. If Chafield is getting filled without the extra water, Denver water will not turn Bailey on. Remember last spring with the front range snowstorms. They did not turn on Bailey until July. Given the low elevation snow pack we have in the front range this year, I wouldn't count on Bailey running in the spring (except maybe from natural flow).

As for Deer Creek, I've never seen anyone get hurt there, but it seems like a good rapid to run right-side-up. If people are getting hurt, its probably because they are going right instead of running the slide. The slide is more fun and its a cleaner line.

Josh

·
Registered
342 Posts
Ok, that clears it up. I guess last time I read a BSOE post it was about giving hand jobs, so I wondered where that was going. Alright.... that's cool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went through the bottom after the slide of Deer Creek upside down once. Cracked my helmut on a rock and took a beating. My buddy got pinned for a few seconds after missing the line through the last part of the drop, luckily pulling his skirt freed him. Many say its a 4 not a 5. Either way, don't under estimate it. I hate that rapid.

·
Registered
539 Posts
bailey runs when denver is dry. otherwise the water tops the spillway and goes on north.
i always heard trash can causes the most problems in there. it's that funky junky rapid below supermax. enter left and then move right.
deer creek is pretty straight forward and the slide move into the elevator boof is one of the better lines in bailey.
-dan

·
Registered
882 Posts
danger said:
bailey runs when denver is dry. otherwise the water tops the spillway and goes on north.
Bingo. Dillon is nice for Front Rangers, but the Blue/Colorado system seems to have much more control over the calls.

danger said:
the slide move into the elevator boof is one of the better lines in bailey.
The most fun move on the river.

I only saw one upside down run on the Deer Creek slide, but it dished out a broken nose. There is no reason to flip on that slide. If someone had a bad roll and flipped on the boof/piton drop right above, I could see then running it upside down. But the slide is not hard to stay upright on.

·
Registered
501 Posts
be upright or else

I've said it often, Deer Creek can be more of a scare than Super Max. Deer Creek is a screamer. The entrance has potential for rear endos. Which a quick roll below can be afforded. However, being upside down through the lower part would be an invitation for serious pain or death. Many people do get caught off guard by the twisting currents and seams occuring in there and often reach for an extended or deep brace that can be met with dislocating shoulders or their head going ten rounds with very jagged ledges and boulders. It may seem like a V- rapid, but it could have V+ consequences. Frankly, no where is it very safe to be upside down on Bailey. Steeps I and II and Vector are some other definate stay upright areas on the run.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I always heard that Trashcan caused the most shoulder injuries. Who's keeping the stats? My first time down I totally blew the entrance on Deer Creek and got flipped in that first hole, but it spit me out and I had plenty of time to roll to get set up for the slide. Of course that was at lower (normal) levels - probably another story with more water. I never saw any carnage on Deer Creek, but sure wouldn't want to be upside down. Definitely the most fun move on the run.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've seen 2 shoulders done in trash can (on seperate trips).

Steve.

·
Registered
490 Posts
When the snow melts I'll go hiking with you guys, I know the best way in, too. In return though, you all need to help swamp up after the beaver gets his teeth into some of that wood.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Yep, after some of the snow melts and my ankle heals count me in.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Vector and other names

Caspian:

It's a mystery how some names have changed as more boaters took to the sport. On Bailey, names for The Maze, Vector, Disneyland, Broken Paddle, and R.E.M. (Rear Endo Machine) have seemed to become forgotten by all but those of 25 years ago. Vector sounds like maybe what people are now calling Trashcan. I think it's is a half mile or so below Super Max and is kind of a Z-slide from left to right and wicked full of boulders in the center. It is a screamer that is is hard to read from the water. It froths and deceptively hides the ugly boulder field it flows over. Walking all the way down from Super Max to check it out from the ridge above is not a bad idea.

The big three (Four Falls, Super Max, Deer Creek) names existed in the '70s. Steep I and II and the other now missing names we mostly had in the early '80s. I don't yet know you Caspian, but if you weren't around Bailey back in the day... it's fun remembering our roots running all of Bailey in Dancers, Mirages, and glass boats. My first-D of Super Max was a low water Solo venture in a Dancer. I momentarily vertically pinned the long boat in the S turn crux. Thankfully, I was able to dislodged seconds later. I have many great memmories of Bailey and the the boating buddies, many no longer with us, that we enjoyed the adventures with. Bailey remains today as one of my top five favorite runs and I still use the old names. Cheers, Caspian! Introduce yourself if we ever cross paths.

-KV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts