Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for one or two (or three) raft guides with knowledge of Bailey Creek and/or Clear Creek to guide a raft plus 4-5 guys down one of these runs on June 5th (undecided about which run and looking for beta as well). Our group is twenty guys, early to mid-thirties, all in good to great shape, coming into Colorado for a weekend guys' trip to raft one day and hike two fourteeners the next day. We're able to pay $225 to each guide for the day and need people with outstanding river skills and knowledge of the runs. Bonus if you can help arrange logistics - raft rental and shuttle.

I'm a longtime class V paddler with significant experience in wwk instruction, guiding (kayak and rafting) and swiftwater rescue. Also a NOLS semester grad, solid technical rock climber (also with experience as an instructor), and generally solid outdoor skills. Our group has one other guy who's confident steering a raft so we need two or (ideally) three more.

No disrespect to the raft guide companies. We prefer to guide our own rafts. If we can't find a couple of good people to steer boats, we'll scramble to find a raft company that can accommodate us.

Need to figure this out asap so if you're available, please PM or text me at 415-672-9280. Crossing my fingers that we can find some folks to help us out and looking forward to a great visit to Colorado.

Also, if anybody wants to be a safety boater/photographer, we'd love that too.

Thanks,

CB

·
Registered
505 Posts
Bailey will be going off natural flows which could be decent but Clear Creek should be getting juicy on the Lawson stretch. Ark valley should have great flows and might be your best bet for finding guides. Although you prefer guiding your own rafts.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Your going to have to guide yourselves, or go with a commercial outfitter. It is illegal for a private boater to guide you down for $. This is why commercial outfitters are required to have permits and insurance...

·
addict
741 Posts
So you're saying we should stay off baileys/clear creek on june 5? Or show up to watch the yard sale?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bailey is no fun.
There really aren't any real rapids. It's all hype.
All the women there have small boobs and brown hair.
They serve salsa from New York City.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Bailey is rafted plenty frequently, when it is running, which it isn't.

Odds are that no one is going to bust you for running a unsanctioned commercial trip, but taking a bunch of yahoos from Texas down whitewater with no insurance seems like an awfully risky way to spend a day.

It sounds like your group does not have the skills to do the runs that you want to do, but you still want to do it on your own. I would suggest that you find a run that you can handle without a guide (like most anything on the Arkansas), or shell out for a commercial trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
I would suggest that you find a run that you can handle without a guide (like most anything on the Arkansas), or shell out for a commercial trip.
As much respect as I've got for Josh, what he says about the Ark needs a little qualification. There are definitely some runs on the Ark (Pine Creek, Numbers, Gorge) that you'll want both some experience and a guide for, more runs in early June (if it ever warms up) that'll have plenty of munch factor during runoff. There are also plenty of sections of the Ark you guys would have a fun time on your own but they will not have the excitement factor and big hits you're looking for. Or you could go ahead and hit the serious whitewater on your own and you may get a little real adventure. The kind with a good chance of ending in the ER lobby while your buddy gets stitched up, or paying full replacement cost for a heap of shredded hypalon, or both.

Or, recommended, you could shell out for a commercial trip like Josh suggests. Commercial outfitters will be running just about anything you want. If you're considering something as rad as Bailey (are you really aware of what Bailey entails?), an outfitter will be the way to go and can take you down plenty of runs (Pine Creek, Numbers, the Gorge, maybe even Gore) that'll be plenty of adventure.

Have fun & be safe!

-AH

·
Registered
384 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Baily is not commercially run. I have seen rafts on it, but those were experienced guides on their day off.

If you really want to step it up, take a commercial trip though Gore. Pine Creek and the Numbers on the Ark will be juicy this year too.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Go commercial. You want gear, guides, shuttles and photos... Thats the definition of commercial. Also, expecting someone in colorado to illegally hook you up for a fraction of market price is pretty lame. Finally, go commercial to ensure you have the right cold water protection and safety. Every year unprepared rafters die at high water because they get in over thier heads. Don't be the next statistic.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Baily is not commercially run. I have seen rafts on it, but those were experienced guides on their day off.

If you really want to step it up, take a commercial trip though Gore. Pine Creek and the Numbers on the Ark will be juicy this year too.
They won't be able to commercially raft Gore in June. Flow will be too high. Commercials only run it up to... what, 1,500 or so?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. Have been dissuaded to run Bailey.

The idea that we're looking to pay less to do this is incorrect. We may end up flying out some former co-instructors/guides from other parts of the country where I've worked before.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What at Texas attitudeWe may end up flying out some former co-instructors/guides from other parts of the country where I've worked before” and instead of supporting local Colorado whitewater guides and outfitters who have tens of years of experience, you would do this why? Just don’t get the attitude, but have seen it on display for years and have never understood it…..

·
addict
741 Posts
For $600 I'll take you fuckers down the bottom four drops of Lake Creek. In a raft. During runoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Super Moderator
4,049 Posts
...."I ain't skeered uha nuthin!"

Man that looks like an ugly swim, especially if you start up higher.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Why not just go on a commercial trip on Clear Creek ,they could probably arrange a semiprivate trip= just your guys...if you really need to paddle your ownboat you could rent and unofficially accompany tthat group.I doubt they would want ANY liability but could help if you got into trouble just out of river etiquette...one thing I know is that back east ,at least WVA,they let all sorts of yahoos run parties like this on some serious stuff and they usually survive..they have more undercuts but our water is f'ing cold and a lot of ugly blast rock,especially on Front Range runs like Clear Creek...Bailey not so much cuz no road..you guys act like Bailey gets rafted a lot,cmon' it gets done sometimes,more since Baileyfest began...cut the guy a little slack he seems to have good credentials ...but the other 15 or so are probably going to be in over their heads....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts