Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone felt the difference between what the gauges say and what is really flowing through Bailey?

Last week the gauge at bailey said 476, Ok thats cool. But if you took what waterton was flowing, 1200ish. Subtract what the south fork or chutes was flowing, 400ish. That would leave 800 in the north fork. And that is about what it felt like.

Just wondering what might be going on? Has anyone put on thinking it was one level and gotten spanked? Supermax was huge at that level and all of us portaged. That was a first for a few of us.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If anyone can confirm that the level was around 800ish, please do so. It would be a shame to let all of that water go to waste.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are meeting at the take out at 2 if anybody wants in tomorrow. I guess we will find out how far off the gauges really are. If you do the same math (waterton gauge-south fork= north fork) we should have around 600. Gonna be fun.

Jace

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Bailey guage is off and reading low. Tunnel and grant guages are correct.

It was 700ish at the put in and 800ish at the takeout (calculated) weekend before last and it was big fun! (tunnel 450 grant 670).

Still a good level now. Use the grant gauge, add 20-40 cfs for equivalent bailey gauge and add 50-100 cfs for equivalent pine gauge.

My guess is 430 at bailey 500 at pine, and 600 ish at the bottom of foxton before waterton.

·
Registered
619 Posts
When checking the Bailey gauge, be sure to also check the little blue plus symbols on the graph that represent a manual discharge measurement. This will give you an actual discharge measurement and you then make your best guess at the flow for the day you put on. Bailey > 700 is sah-weet!

·
Registered
929 Posts
I ran Bailey yesterday and it is not even close to 700 or even 500 in my gestimate. I ran Bailey last year at 750 and this year when the gauge read around 350. The gauge is reading 420 something like that now. I would say that it is lower than when we ran it earlier this year at "350" and is a far far far cry from 700. In Supermax the undercut edge at the end is out of the water if that helps. It is still fun though, go get some.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It looks like the Bailey gauge is possibly working properly: Grant ~ 600 and Bailey ~ 700. Nonetheless, Bailey is running 700:mrgreen: at a minimum! Super Max = Super Meat! Who is running the entire Super max rapid (hourglass + tampax) at high water? I would like to see it. If people were racing this section, i wouldn't run super max without a scout just to get a better time.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I THOUGHT THE GUAGE WAS FIXED!!!still getting contradictory info,eddyflower says Bailey 576 and Foxton 0 too low ,imagine that though I RAN IT ONCE AT -118 CFS,a guy on a another thread sez the pine guage says 300 ish,USGS REALTIMEwon't come up on this computer.WTF.

hope johnnywater is right 600-700 is choice on Foxton,you guys are gonna have fun on Bailey my good boater friends call 650 swimfifty,I'm waitin'for it get down to 300,yeah yeah i'm french.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts