Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey Fest 2010 is less than two weeks away! On Aug 14/15, Denver Water will release ~300cfs out of Roberts tunnel, providing a great weekend of paddling on the North Fork of the South Platte. This is the first recreational release on the NFSP, so come celebrate it! There will be a takeout party at the Bailey Takeout with free food and beer saturday 2pm - 6pm (all Bailey & Foxton boaters welcome). We will also have free group camping along forest road 550. I'll get there early to get a good big campsite... anybody that wants to camp during the event is welcome. CW is doing a cruise along the foxton section on sunday. Please use the alternate Bailey put in and parking listed on the flyers attached below. Also, big thanks to our sponsors Confluence Kayak Shop and Jackson Kayaks... THANKS!

I've heard reports of boaters thinking about coming from out of state... Come on down! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me... Ian: 303-907-1373

Also, I'm looking for some volunteers. I'm looking for a couple of folks to help set up the BBQ / Beers at the Pine Valley Ranch Park on saturday, around 11-2. Would also like some help with the BBQ during the event. Want to grill some burgers and drink beer... you are hired!

Please note that heavy rain could cancel the release. Denver Water will provide an update on weekend flows by thur/fri the week of the event.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
hopefully i can make it Ian. everybody should do what they can to get to Bailey, support the recreational release,it would possibly help with more kayaking oportunities in general in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2,836 Posts
Nice work!

Can't they just use some extra water out of strontia springs ahead of time, so there is a little buffer space to do a release weather the demand exists that weekend or not?

For that matter can't they just raise and lower strontia springs on a regular basis to make room for regular releases? Is S.S. even full?

It sucks to think that rain could cancel it entirely.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Looking forward to it Ian. Great job!

It would be nice if they could take Dave's very logical option.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't they just use some extra water out of strontia springs ahead of time, so there is a little buffer space to do a release weather the demand exists that weekend or not?

For that matter can't they just raise and lower strontia springs on a regular basis to make room for regular releases? Is S.S. even full?
Dave, using storage to deliver higher flows short term is a good idea. I've approached denver water about this, and we discussed it in detail. There's a ton of details and boundary conditions, but Denver Water has agreed to use storage to move more water than demand calls for if we can't meet the minimum 300 threshold for the event. They could probably deliver an extra 50ish cfs to help out the event, and they have been planning for this backup.

Strontia isn't the best storage to use as lowering the res sucks in sediment and causes water quality problems. Strontia is also a small res. Chatfield is much larger and is the reservoir targeted for storage if needed for the event.

I'll continue to explore using storage with denver water. At this point using storage to allow for significant flows (ie several hundred cfs) isn't something denver water is willing to do. Denver water has given me some specific reasons for this such as wanting to keep the water high in the system for flexibility, the fact that higher water has better quality and is easier to treat for water supply, and the fact that they have many boundary conditions on the reservoirs for recreation as well.

As for rain canceling the event... yes it would suck. Denver water has agreed to a rain date (probably labor day) if we get rained out. It would take a lot of rain to cancel the event, not just a little rain. It would take the amount of rain we are getting right now to cancel the event... its rare, but it does happen. I'm hoping we get a week or so of rain and its dry during the event.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If anyone is new to this run, I'd be happy to show a new group down. If u can confidently read n run creek-style IV, and if u can shoulder a boat to walk a few times, then u will have no problems running Bailey with a guide. It's a familiar run to anyone who's local, but there's a few bad spots that are nice to have pointed out to you on your first time down. I'm sure they'll be tons of people, but thought I'd throw out the offer.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice Freemont. Bailey should be at a good first timer level, and end of the season bailey is pefect timing for getting on it. Hoping to see some big grins from first timers at Bailey Fest.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm thinking about a first trip down Bailey during this event. I'm not at all opposed to walking where necessary, but I'm not sure my skills and comfort level are up for the run in general. I ran Boulder Creek this year for the first time at around 450 and had no incidents but was a little gripped dropping into Elephant. I've run and was comfortable on Lawson to 700, UCC to 525, and LCC to 860. Big T from the dam down at 400-500. Those are probably the creekiest runs I've done. I'm used to med-high water Ark (up to about 3k on the #s) and ran the Piedra at 1600 once (probably the biggest drops I've done). Oh, and I suck arse at playboating and only swim out of nasty holes. :)

The run sounds fun to me but would definitely be a step up. So, does it sound like a good idea?

Also Ian, did Laurie tell you who is leading that Foxton cruise? I offered but never got confirmation from her. I think she may be in ID now.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
mjpowhound:

Based on what you've listed it doesn't sound like Bailey would be a step up at all. Take out the first fall of 4 falls, top part of Supermax and you have nothing solid class V. Take out Deer Creek and you have a class IV to IV+ run. All portages and scouts are very easy.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just from talking with some people it sounds like there might be a pretty good turn out for this weekend. I think it's worth a reminder that there are some sensitive private property issues on Bailey. Specifically, 4 Falls is on private property. The property owners have been ok with boaters portaging the 1st fall and it's really important that we keep it that way. Remind people to be sensitive on that land: stay quiet, keep portages and scouts short, don't pee on their land.

We should be cool about passing through the fishing resort areas too. There's no point risking conflict with the extra crowds on the run that weekend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You're more than qualified. You'd do fine.

I'm thinking about a first trip down Bailey during this event. I'm not at all opposed to walking where necessary, but I'm not sure my skills and comfort level are up for the run in general. I ran Boulder Creek this year for the first time at around 450 and had no incidents but was a little gripped dropping into Elephant. I've run and was comfortable on Lawson to 700, UCC to 525, and LCC to 860. Big T from the dam down at 400-500. Those are probably the creekiest runs I've done. I'm used to med-high water Ark (up to about 3k on the #s) and ran the Piedra at 1600 once (probably the biggest drops I've done). Oh, and I suck arse at playboating and only swim out of nasty holes. :)

The run sounds fun to me but would definitely be a step up. So, does it sound like a good idea?

Also Ian, did Laurie tell you who is leading that Foxton cruise? I offered but never got confirmation from her. I think she may be in ID now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Put in Parking

Other than the usual put in parking spot, and the spot further upstream behind the ammo store(?), any suggestions on put-in parking that won't upset the locals/prop.owners?
Sorry if it has been addressed already...just doing some stealth surfing at work.
Can't wait to hit Bailey!

·
Registered
135 Posts
p.s., frontrangers: no pooping under the only tree @ bailey put in. that was lame to stand next to in the rain last week.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MJ, Steve Dougherty is leading the foxton cruise. I think you'd be fine on bailey if you go with a good group who is willing to take the time to scout and give you beta. Walking the 3 big ones, bailey is mainly class IV with a good helping of IV+.

There is ample parking at the bailey business center, which is right across the highway from the ATF store. Please unload boats and launch at McGraw park, which is right behind the ATF store near the old bridge. After unloading gear, park the car across the street at the bailey business center and walk the short distance back to the put in park. Bailey business center has room for 30-50 cars and should have plenty of space. I'll have some signs up to point the way, its pretty easy. This has been ok'd by the bailey chamber of commerce folks and will keep people from parking on private property or in other businesses who might not like it. There is a map on the flyer and a few comments about parking.

Also, just want to clarify about rain and the chance of canceling the event... Denver water will get a weather and flows check and make the call late in the week just before the event if we are go or no-go. This should give enough advance warning for boaters who will drive to bailey for the event. It has to rain A LOT to cancel the event, but I just want to make sure folks are aware that there is a small chance. Afternoon thunderstorms alone won't cancel it, but big monsoon rains could. We are getting a big monsoon wet cycle right now, and it seems unlikely that it would be really wet in two weeks also. I think we have a really good chance at decent flows. Part of the event timing selection was picking dates towards the end of the typical colorado monsoon to minimize chances of getting rained out.

Looking forward to a great weekend... Hope to see lots of folks there.

Also, feel free to come camp out at the group camp spot on FS 550. I'll make sure you can't mistake it... Should be a good time. The more the merrier.

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
Also a big Thank You to Angela Kuepper, who created the cool banner ads you see running to promote the events.

-AH

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah! Thanks to Angela and Andy for getting the banner up and running.

Also... for the class III boaters aspiring to class IV, check out the foxton run during the event. Its a fun run and gives you a creekin feel with intermediate difficulty. The boulder garden up top is good fun.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah! Thanks to Angela and Andy for getting the banner up and running.

Also... for the class III boaters aspiring to class IV, check out the foxton run during the event. Its a fun run and gives you a creekin feel with intermediate difficulty. The boulder garden up top is good fun.
Hey Ian I have a buddy who is thinking about running foxton but she paddles a jackson 1.5. She stomped numbers in it at about 700 cfs, think she would do ok?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts