Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently somebody destroyed the sign at the put in to Bailey as well as cut one of the fences down in the Farmers Union section at the beggining of the run. The guy that owns the land contacted a fellow boater in the Pine area and said that if this happens again he will essentially close down access at the put in as well as put up boater unfriendly fences on the run. The fence that was cut down was used to contain his livestock and he was nice enough to put a hole in it for boaters. Whoever decided to destroy this man's property has put one of the great expert runs in serious Jeopardy. This guy is boater friendly but will not hesitate to close down access if his property is not respected. Whoever commited this crime, don't do it again!!

Matt Ward

·
Registered
843 Posts
This is serious. I'd be very depressed if we had no Bailey access. Heads up people, let's be cool to the land owners so we can keep our access. I know these fences suck, but they could be alot worse. Remember, those late season Bailey runs make colorado boating a lot longer than it should be.

Kent

·
Registered
499 Posts
If he would like some help fixing his fence, or a contribution for a new sign, please post that here. I would be more than willing to help! So far this guy has been super cool, it's really sad that someone would be so disrespectfull. :cry:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I second that... As a matter of fact I would like to take it a step further if the landowner has any interest. I would gladly take a hour or so to help clean the area up or assist in whatever he would like.

It might be a great idea to pro-actively let this person know how much the rest of Colorado appreciates his/her kindness via a letter of some kind. And in that letter, offer assistance to rebuild the fence and offer funds for the materials lost.

Bailey is a true GEM that can't be lost.

Any idea that it for sure was a boater? Seems odd at this time of year? If so and anyone knows who it was... might be time for a little old fashion "Learn'n session"

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just talked to my buddy up in Pine about it and I guess the guy has already replaced the fence. I mentioned that we would be able to pay for the repairs as well as help him clean or maintain this right of way. This guy is actually a very cool individual. He even asked about learning to kayak a few years ago. Of course we offered but it never quite came together. My buddy is actually going down to see if he can help this guy out with any of the repairs this afternoon.

Matt Ward

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is an alternative put-in behind the feed and firearms store just as you turn off from 285 in Bailey. We need to start using this put-in to take pressure off the land owner. I am surprised he has put up with us boaters this long. I have seen some pretty f-ed up parking in his driveway. It is only a matter of time before someone someone does something really stupid and ruins it for all of us.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
ATF put in

I've been using that put-in due to crowding on the landowner's property- It's easy access and no one seems to mind. Everyone be sure to educate your fellow boaters about not only this issue, but the peeing / pooping issue at 4 Falls, packing out your trash, ect. We need to protect these landowners from the few idiots in this sport- they've been more than accomodating.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ok, so the guy has already replaced the fence. Still, if Bailey regulars (like myself) would donate $10 - $20 each we could easily collect a couple hundred dollars to replace his sign. I think it would be a show of good-will, and well worth it. Any ideas of the best way to take collections and get it to the land-owner?

Jennifer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great Idea about the donations. I talked to my bud Jeremy, who told me about this in the first place, and he said if people would want to donate to replace the sign you could drop off the donations to Jeremy at the Hatch Fly shop in Pine Junction. He is going to be going down to talk to the landowner next week and he will drop it off then. Jeremy has know this landowner for a long time(he guides flyfisherman on the land) and would love to make this situation right. He has also run Bailey a few times and realizes what is at risk.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would like to donate too. I'm in Fort Collins and am not sure that I will be making it down to Pine Junction before next week. So I'd like to give some $ to anyone heading down there from the Fort. Or else, since there a fair share of us from the Fort who enjoy paddling Bailey from time to time, then maybe we can organize a donation here in Fort Collins and send a check down to Jeremy by next week? I'm happy to head a Fort Collins donation fund if there is other interest from local paddlers to get this going.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why don't you post an address we can mail the money too. We could probably collect more money this way, plus, less hassle with driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, if you like you can send the cash to me and I will make sure Jeremy gets it to the land owner. My address:

Matt Ward
12501 Callae Dr.
Conifer, CO 80433

·
Registered
745 Posts
hmm

The sign was put up by fellow boaters in the first place,so if the dumb piles of dung who wrecked the sign and fence would love to meet ya...

This land owner let us have Paul Zirkelbach's wake on his land for free and we all gave him a piece of gear so he has all the equipment to paddle...The man is a super super cool guy and loves to see boaters and became friends with Zirk and Gary J as they offered and put up the sign...

Let me know if I can help with anything as we need to keep a good relationship going that my buddies started...
Gary E
303-949-6880

·
Registered
911 Posts
Matt, if you are serious about assisting, please let me know who to write the check to? I don't know how smart it is to send cash.

I would say that $10 increments should be good hugh?

How are we going to be able to get a final $ count? It would be nice to know what we pull together.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm in for not only a monetary donation but also a donation of my time for a clean up. Tell me when and where.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Gary E, did Gary J just install the sign, or actually have it made too? It may be nice to contract a boater to take care of another sign so the land owner doesn't have to deal with it. By the way, is the old sign just down, or actually missing or destroyed? Maybe a sign with the mention of "boater friendly PRIVATE LAND" would get more respectful attention from kayakers who apparently don't understand that this access point is a priviledge for us and not right.

I like the $10 check with land owner's name sent to Matt idea. However, we may be able to pool some more together if someone trust worthy involved in the Vail rodeo would like to set up and announce a small collection jar for the cause.

Jennifer

·
Registered
745 Posts
hello Jennifer

Gary Jenrette and Paul Zirkelbach put the sign up.They have been running Bailey since the early 80's and first d it...They became friends with the land owner years ago and offered to put the sign up...The land owner was excited the kayakers cared enough to put their time and money just to keep the land owner happy...

Gary's wife just passed so he'll is out of contact and should not be bothered right now about this.I will shoot him a email and see if he wants to answer.Get back to you.
Gary

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry for the delay on getting back to everyone. I talked to Jeremy today and the landowner doesn't want any money. He appretiates everything that we would like to do for him but he would rather just move on and not have this happen again. Anyone who has sent me any money I will return it as soon as is possible.

On a personal note I would like to add that I am taking some time away from paddling. I had a very bad day today on South Boulder Creek and need to get my mind strait. I want to thank my best friend Mark Leary for saving my life today. It's something I will never forget.. The only reason I post this here is I want to remind you all to be safe and boat with people like Mark.

By the way if anyone finds a blue Werner paddle strait shaft near the Eldo section I would appreciate it if you could give me a call at 303-506-6647.

Thanks
Matt Ward

·
Registered
499 Posts
I really doubt it was boater who did this, the timing is all wrong, bailey hasn't run for weeks. Anyways, if we get a new sign put up it should mention the additional parking upstream behind the feed store?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Matt,

Was that you in the blue boat on Saturday? If so, that was a rough go for SURE!!! I witnessed the whole thing and had deep concern for you in there.

It appears that boat is now a permanent fixture of Harmon.... or did you ever get it out?

Glad you are OK. Time away is good every so often.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts