Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Bailey runnable at the current 183 CFS? What is the minimum flow for not scraping the whole way down? Is there any way to find out if there will be more water running this weekend? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think the answer is you can get down at that level, but it will be scrapy. People have and will again run it that low, but it's below many people's tolerance level.

Caspian (buzz name) is the contact w/ Denver water and sometimes they give him info about flows, sometimes not. He's your best hope for a prediction.

Is Bailey runnable at the current 183 CFS? What is the minimum flow for not scraping the whole way down? Is there any way to find out if there will be more water running this weekend? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yes, you can get down. No, no one will go with you... 250 is a Mank Crew desperation level. Gore is great over a grand and similar difficulty - go there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Christine, go easy on 'er!

The rapids are fun at any level. I've done it down to 145 which is pushing it. It's the class II that gets torturous, but it beats golf. I actually don't think that the FU rocks are that bad, it's just a different skill in reading the water. At 225 you can start to get more lazy in watching for them, but at 300 is where it starts to be classic in my book. The scenery is classic at any level!

On the DWB tip...I e-mailed on Wednesday but didn't hear back yet, which is odd b/c they are usually very responsive and helpful. I apologize for the lack of recent updates - I just started a new job and the last few weeks a lot has gotten away from me. I've now got an Outlook reminder so I don't forget--this is the most critical part of the Bailey season, after all - when everything else but Gore, WW and Shosho have dried up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
yep, runnable and good

Ran it last Sunday. Another no-portage decent. I've run all assorted levels between 100 and 1000 ... it's always a classic. Really liked 220. Lots of fun and way beautiful. I'll am llooking to the next trip.

·
Registered
31 Posts
220 is fine

Ran it last Sunday. Another no-portage decent. I've run all assorted levels between 100 and 1000 ... it's always a classic. Really liked 220. Lots of fun and way beautiful. I'll am llooking to the next trip.
I am an east coaster, and we did it that same day. There are some spots that are a little scrapy, but all the good stuff is totally fine. good side of low imo. all class 3-4 creekin with a moderate 5 at supermax, which was pretty easy. I could see 600 being "interesting".

I am definitely seeing differences in the perception of low across the US. Maybe its b/c westerners just float down the paddle ins/outs and hit every rock, but I hit very few. Or mabe SE'ers are just more tolerant of an occasional scrapey scrape to run great whitewater. Any class 5 in the SE is scrapy. If its not, you'll never live to tell someone otherwise. Good run at 220, but any lower will involve some noticeable unpleasantries.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You know who loves boatin? I love boatin.

However, y'all are making me sick and I'm starting to think the Mank Crew needs a new name....

That being said git sum if that gittin is good to you.

Joe

Also, just because the Green is amazing at 236cfs doesn't mean bailey is. Plus, the Green is way better at 200% (500cfs?) anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You know who loves boatin? I love boatin.

However, y'all are making me sick and I'm starting to think the Mank Crew needs a new name....

That being said git sum if that gittin is good to you.

Joe

Also, just because the Green is amazing at 236cfs doesn't mean bailey is. Plus, the Green is way better at 200% (500cfs?) anyway.
not amazing, but certainly acceptable. Point taken. The green doesn't run 200% much anymore

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not exactly fair to compare. The Green is one of the highest quality runs in the country. Never done it over 140-150%, but it is amazing, period. Bailey is good, but not a national classic by any means.

I'm sure when the SE starts getting rain again, there will be 200% days again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts