1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
no tengo
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry::cry::x

from doloreswater.com

NO 2012 BOATABLE RELEASES EXPECTED

Although the March 1 forecast looked promising based on February snow, the month of March turned dry with negligible precipitation. The warm weather and lost snow forced the April 1 forecast to drop by 90,000 AF. Runoff really picked up over the last two weeks, flows above Dolores are running above 800 CFS. The snowpack is down to 40% and will not last long and is not expected to fill McPhee Reservoir. Natural flows downriver at Slickrock may have peaked due to lack of lower snowpack and early warm weather.

This late in the season it is difficult to expect much change. No new storms are shown in the forecast.

McPhee releases are currently scheduled at 50 CFS for April, 60 CFS in May and 70 CFS in June.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
swimteam101 said:
Its called Canning food and storing it for the winter. I try and avoid all the fruits in Cali.
Canning food and eating it during the winter instead of fresh vegetables and fruit. Again, why??

·
Registered
356 Posts
Local sustainable living, It's cheaper, I enjoy growing my own food, I like having a relationship with local farmers and seeing the source of my milk , eggs , and produce whenever I can. The big box store meat,milk ,eggs ,and produce don't taste as good 90% of the time. It's not for everyone but it works for me. I'm not sure what else I can do to show my displeasure with McPhee other than refusing to support the people responsible.

·
A Political Theorist
239 Posts
Dryland bean farmers opposed the Dolores Project. Eat more Colorado beans, not less to support a once-thriving local industry doomed by water hoarders.

It was the Water Buffaloes and alfalfa worshipers who killed the Dolores River.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Thanks for the news Mania. Bummer. It's not right to hold back so much water. It's so shitty for the river.

I'm sure grateful for the chance I had to see that beautiful river - with an awesome Mountain Buzz crew, actually. Next year I hope it snows so much that dam bursts!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dryland bean farmers opposed the Dolores Project. Eat more Colorado beans, not less to support a once-thriving local industry doomed by water hoarders.

Don't kill someone's rant with reason.... :)

Alfalfa uses 7X the amount of water than natural native hay/grass for the same amount of nutrients. Bean are a dryland crop, hence why they were a Native American crop long before dams. Oddly enough, until it's demise, the bio fuel project that failed in Dove Creek would have been a HUGE waste of water.

This water year sucks, we have much more at stake than some drunken river trip(which i love). I love boating, but the driest March on record has more dire consequence than people's river trips. I'd be more fired up over wildfires and the associated watershed damage........

·
Registered
261 Posts

I dont have any idea about the politics of the Dolores Project. But, how can you honestly say that with the miles and miles of bean fields that it doesn't benefit them? Is this because it is a dryland crop?

I will say that I have the privilege of running the Dolores for the first time last year with a pretty amazing crew.

The river of sorrows... I could almost feel the eyes of the anasazi spirits on me. Like I was trespassing with every paddle stroke I took. It is indeed a canyon of secrets, sorrow and beauty.

And...Swimteam- I applaud you for growing your own food. If everyone knew half of what they are eating or the fact that Monsanto has ties to about 95% of the food industry they would pretty much starve themselves.
Support your local farmers!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hard to see this one as a political decision....the inflows into the reservoir have peaked around 800 cfs (non-raftable by most standards) and are dropping. No snowpack and warm spring conditions are mostly to blame.

I have appreciated the organized effort of some in the community. We now at least have a voice at the table. The Dolores is a long term project that we should keep pressure on and know when its the bureaucrats faults.

I have only been boating the Dolores since 2004 and have only managed 2 runs (mostly b/c I refuse to boat on Memorial Day weekend when the hoards collide). Hoping to see the stretch again when the snows allow.

No Virgin River runs this year either, which is worse to me.

Phillip

·
Registered
418 Posts
Canning food and eating it during the winter instead of fresh vegetables and fruit. Again, why??
This quote could only come from Cali. I applaud the poster for being self-sustaining. Fresh fruits and veggies in the summer...enjoy the excess yield in their canned form in the winter. Seems perfect to me. (...but I must admit I'm a bit biased...personally, I have trouble calling anything from the big-boxes fresh). Either way, I guess I really don't care what other folks put in their bodies...i'm just jealous of swim team (I should be there in a few years...)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This quote could only come from Cali. I applaud the poster for being self-sustaining. Fresh fruits and veggies in the summer...enjoy the excess yield in their canned form in the winter. Seems perfect to me. (...but I must admit I'm a bit biased...personally, I have trouble calling anything from the big-boxes fresh). Either way, I guess I really don't care what other folks put in their bodies...i'm just jealous of swim team (I should be there in a few years...)
My reply could come from anywhere, Cali's just where I am now. For your raft trip meals, do you grow your own veggies, prepare meals from your 'canned fresh' garden endeavors? Or, do you shop at Shitty Market and buy their produce (add King Soopers, Safeway, or whatever)? Self sustaining with canned veggies and fruits is okay (think 1930), most folks enjoy fresh strawberries, blueberries and such all year round when possible. Very altruistic ideals, but is it true?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts