Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow skiers,
i' new to the forum, and wanted begin with a question on backcountry skiing near the front range (hour- hour/half). i spent 3 years in jackson skiing the snake river range and teton pass area, but since i moved down here (longmont) i have only been skiing the resorts. i went a handfull of times a couple years ago- to cameron pass, bulter gulch, and some places in the indian peaks. i enjoyed bultler gulch alot, but cameron pass seemed like alot of hiking for little reward and the front range (indian peaks) seem to get really wind hammered. any advice you guys have? i saw someone in one of the other forums mentioned monarch pass? how about the vail pass area?
do any of you guys get together for day trips? weekends?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Me TOO!

I also just moved to the front range from good ole' Jackson, WY. I dont know about much backcountry on the front range but when you find out you should let me know. Im available on the weekends!
Aaron,
Bear Claw-No Name Face

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here is some information you should find helpful. It's called Colorado Firstracks and the site has many places listed and the beta on them too. I have my favorite stashes but if I told you, I'd have to kill you and bury you in a shallow grave... sorry.

www.firstrax.com

·
Registered
16 Posts
Unfortunately firstrax.com has been offline for almost a year. I hope it comes back on...it was a good resource.

As far as front range skiing and the indian peaks: yes they take wind. But it is a big area and there are protected pockets all over the place that are just waiting to be discovered.

·
Registered
585 Posts
From Longmont

Eldora, Peaceful Valley, weather station below Arapaho,RogersPass, Rocky Mtn Park, Berthoud Pass, Loveland Pass. Check out www.huts.org
Suggested: Fowler, Vances, Gates, Eisner, Janets, Polar Star.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts