Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has owned one? Thoughts for a first raft. I could buy a new one at 50% around $1000 for a 13 footer or I could buy a 15-20 year old Aire for $1000-$1500. What would you do and why?
KR

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Sounds like a great deal, but only if it checks lots of boxes.

I'd want to take a good long look at any new brand and know something about the folks that are designing and marketing them. There are lots of things to consider and many of us have seen brands come on the market that flopped after they sold their first container of crappy rafts made by some pool toy manufacturer in China. There was one brand that had half the boats coming apart at the seams within the first year. Zbaird can tell about a prototype boat from one of those manufacturers that was sitting on a trailer on a hot day and all the seams failed. There's a popular discount brand out there that's made of material that when the fabric starts to rip, it just keeps on going like a cheap shirt, so that what would normally be a straightforward puncture in a better boat would be a 2-foot rip in that brand. Lots of folks will swear by that brand but I'd want something better.

Lots of things to consider: design, material, gluing/welding, warranty, company stability start the list. Another thing to consider is what your planned use is. Will you be taking the boat to rugged places where peoples lives will depend on it? Or will you just be floating on flatwater casting for fish?

If you're up for a $1,000 crapshoot, go for it and tell us about it next fall.

Good luck,

-AH

Reactions: NoCo and KevlaRR

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
I could not find a raft under that name. Saturn rafts are not great but they are okay imo. So if made to same specs, standards and warranty I would not be afraid to buy one and did, once 10 years ago and it still holds air..

Reactions: KevlaRR
1 - 5 of 5 Posts