Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you can still buy Avon Rafts in the U.S.? I cant find them on Claveys sight anymore.

·
Registered
536 Posts
clavey sent out an email last year(?) that they were no longer carrying avon in stock but would special order if someone wanted one. maybe that's changed but i'd just email/call them and ask.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Considering that Clavey was the sole distributor of Avon in the US, I don't think AAA "carries" them. They might have one or two left in stock (doubt it $$$$) but they were, most certainly, ordering from Clavey like everyone else. Your best bet at getting one these days is to contact a shop that sells their Rib and Tender boats. Get up with them now and you'll see it when the 2013 boats come in from Wales.

As a side note...
I heard that Avon (which was bought out by Zodiac many years ago) will no longer bare the Avon name/logo. Apparently, they will all be under the Zodiac name/logo now. Not sure if this is true or not. ???

·
Registered
536 Posts
mc, for the clavey part, here is the email they sent to customers...

2012 Avon Update!
For the 2012 selling season, Clavey Paddlesports will not be stocking Avon riverboats for sale. We are happy to contact the factory for lead times and model availability for consumers wishing to place a special order. After confirming lead time, we will require a non-refundable deposit on the order. We will advise the projected delivery date after confirmation with the Avon factory.

Though we regret having to make this decision, unfavorable market and economic conditions, along with escalating labor and raw material costs have made it difficult for us to continue to stock Avon rafts for the consumer.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
I may be wrong, but Vangaurd (glued PVC) looks to be a pvc copy of avon. never seen one up close but from afar the construction looks similar. I believe they said you can still purchase Avons in the US you just have to order them in advance and wait.

·
Registered
82 Posts
matt cook said:
I may be wrong, but Vangaurd (glued PVC) looks to be a pvc copy of avon.
I have a Vanguard I use as a paddle boat, a buddy of mine has a little bigger Avon. Because of the size difference, it is not 'apples to apples', but I think the Avon has more rocker/kick and the Vanguard has a thicker floor.

·
sh$t show voyeuor/host
285 Posts
I have a Vanguard I use as a paddle boat, a buddy of mine has a little bigger Avon. Because of the size difference, it is not 'apples to apples', but I think the Avon has more rocker/kick and the Vanguard has a thicker floor.
I'm not sure what model to compare them to as far as shape, but I was referring more to the overall design, i.e. handle, d-ring, and seam placement, wrap height, rubstrake, the bow/stern handles, and the wear pads all the way around the top. I have not had the opportunity to look on over thoroughly, but to me, all these things make it appear that the goal in making vangaurds was to make a pvc version of an avon. Whether they intended to or not, from what I hear they are pretty bomber and highly regarded by those who are in and around them a lot. Not sure if they have experienced the same 10 year old pvc glue issues that other manufacturers seem to succumb to or not, but they are only ten years old. Any vangaurd owners out there experience any random pinholes or leaky/pealing/failing seams?

·
Registered
136 Posts
On the nose.

Probably a Hyside? If hyplon is what your looking for.
Vanguards DO NOT float like an AVON. Hysides do, NRS raft turn like pigs and get leaky. SOTARS no complaints and AIRE is making a sealed floor now. WINGs were sweet but gone. RMR turn and track like an NRS, sh!tty. To bad I have a lot of seasons driving AVONs, the white stripes we're my favorite circa 2000-2003 lay up we called "hole hunters" which AVON marine said they would reproduce if we ordered them a year prior so they could take them to their boat shows first. To bad, I hope this helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vanguards DO NOT float like an AVON. Hysides do, NRS raft turn like pigs and get leaky. SOTARS no complaints and AIRE is making a sealed floor now. WINGs were sweet but gone. RMR turn and track like an NRS, sh!tty. To bad I have a lot of seasons driving AVONs, the white stripes we're my favorite circa 2000-2003 lay up we called "hole hunters" which AVON marine said they would reproduce if we ordered them a year prior so they could take them to their boat shows first. To bad, I hope this helped.

Well to be honest I was really asking this question because I wanted to know what I could get for my 1 year old blue Avon. I am going thourgh a divorce and have to cut a few of my luxury items. I think the package deal is fair, but so far I am only getting offers to split the package up. Here is the link. Is is a fair price?

14 Avon Adventurer - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don2112 said:
Well to be honest I was really asking this question because I wanted to know what I could get for my 1 year old blue Avon. I am going thourgh a divorce and have to cut a few of my luxury items. I think the package deal is fair, but so far I am only getting offers to split the package up. Here is the link. Is is a fair price?

14 Avon Adventurer - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Seems like a fair price to me.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Way too high. You should ask $500 and contact me first. :)

Really, the price seems solid and you'll sell it at that. You should be willing to sell it and the trailer separately though, in my experience it'll go faster in pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eljim said

Your post is ridiculous. Have you ever rowed or paddle rafted a NRS boat? If so you should check out the latest NRS rafts they are GREAT !!! Most commercial companies I know of run NRS or highsides Ive never used an avon so I'm not gonna talk shit about them like you did about NRS. From my experience NRS boats turn on a dime maybe you should learn how to guide a boat correctly.

·
Super Moderator
2,929 Posts
RMR turn and track like an NRS, sh!tty.
Not sure what you are talking about here. I ran a 14 foot RMR and it sure reminded me of an Adventurer. A lot. And I only have about 500 days in an Avon so ... it's not like I would know but....

The folks who borrowed this same boat and ran it as an oar boat said it was the fastest boat on the trip and whoever ran it would have to eddy out several times a day to wait for the other three rafts. ?????

To the OP. $6K is pretty dammed reasonable for what you have there.

My buddy bought a brand new Adventurer a few years ago and paid almost $5,500 for just the rubber and I think he got a break on it. Looks like a nice setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
every word eljim wrote is true and I'd bet he knows how to guide a boat correctly.

irrelevant rhetorical banter: hypalon v. PVC... which do you think is faster?

·
Registered
207 Posts
every word eljim wrote is true and I'd bet he knows how to guide a boat correctly.

irrelevant rhetorical banter: hypalon v. PVC... which do you think is faster?

What is faster? Whoever rows/paddles/catches the current better. The shape of the boat can make a difference, but not as much as the skill set. The material is a question of preference, use and durability.

Every word eljim wrote is not true, not fact, just his opinion. Everyone has their own experiences with different brands and treats their boat in a different way (some better than others). I rock a 17 year old NRS and I love how it tracks. My boat is so leaky that I don't touch the barrel pump on a week long trip.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts