Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No seas pendejo
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove up Avalanche Creek today and noticed it had some great rapids and lines in that little creek. Does this get run often or even at all? I did not notice much wood or strainers, but did see some potential pin places and such. Did anyone hit it earlier this year?

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
dude, ive asked around about this a few different times, and no one seems to be forthcoming. given the location and potential of the creek, i would have to believe SOMEONE has done it. there is a lot of gradient, but theres also mini gorges and clean bedrock throughout......

another thing that leads me to believe its being kept hidden: look in the maps section of WSR.....peruse the maps, and you'll notice the only bodies of water that are named or identified are those that have runs on them.....yet, if you look at the Crystal/Roaring Fork map, Avalanche Creek is CLEARLY marked, with no run on it at all. theres no other river or creek in the book like it. typo? perhaps? hidden gem? perhaps.....

·
Fred Gnarquist
403 Posts
from what I understand, the lower section is manky, not super worth it, and the upper has not been explored.... yet, we are planning on hiking in and scouting in a week or so

dude, ive asked around about this a few different times, and no one seems to be forthcoming. given the location and potential of the creek, i would have to believe SOMEONE has done it. there is a lot of gradient, but theres also mini gorges and clean bedrock throughout......

another thing that leads me to believe its being kept hidden: look in the maps section of WSR.....peruse the maps, and you'll notice the only bodies of water that are named or identified are those that have runs on them.....yet, if you look at the Crystal/Roaring Fork map, Avalanche Creek is CLEARLY marked, with no run on it at all. theres no other river or creek in the book like it. typo? perhaps? hidden gem? perhaps.....

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
we hiked way up it one time a few years back, the gradient is just stacked, its nearly continuous rocky mountain boulder mank, but i do remember there being a mini gorge or two, or at least sections where the gradient increases, but the bedrock appears creating mini falls and ledges.....let us know whatcha find, ive always wanted to go hiking up there again. regardless if you have a boat or not, it is still an amazingly beautiful place to be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts