Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astral Green Vs. Sea Wolf?
I know the difference between the two from looking them up online, but curious what everyone thinks of the Sea Wolf? Greenjacket looks like the winner (for many reasons, Type V being the biggest!), but still interested.

·
Registered
610 Posts
You should check out the Zen. Just got one from Backdoor for a killer deal, and it's super comfy. I've never put a Green Jacket on, but they look pretty bulky. Guess the biggest difference is that it's a side entry as opposed to a pull-over?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should check out the Zen. Just got one from Backdoor for a killer deal, and it's super comfy. I've never put a Green Jacket on, but they look pretty bulky. Guess the biggest difference is that it's a side entry as opposed to a pull-over?
Yeah that is my concern with Greenjacket, its super bulky upfront. I want to get back on my SUP fast, and that would seem to get in the way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Pretty minimal... got the PFDs, some dry tops and pants hangin up there... some paddles... He said mid-March they've got a shipment coming in. If there's anything specific you're looking for they'll usually order it. Pretty sure they'll at least match whatever price you can find on the net, if not beat it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pretty minimal... got the PFDs, some dry tops and pants hangin up there... some paddles... He said mid-March they've got a shipment coming in. If there's anything specific you're looking for they'll usually order it. Pretty sure they'll at least match whatever price you can find on the net, if not beat it.
Yeah he is pretty good about hooking up locals too. Thanks for the info! He have Astral and NRS PFD's? Might have to walk down in a few and check it out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Between the SeaWolf and the Green Jacket, I would pick the Green Jacket, the pocket is organized a little better IMO and the side pockets are more robust.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Not sure what other jackets he's got at the moment... just know there's some Zens. But yeah... gotta support the local biz.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Heck yeah! Can't wait to get on the town run. We were pretty tempted to do it yesterday... but flows below 150 make it tough to justify... hit us up sometime!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I agree with soggy! you gotta try them on.

Between the Green vs Wolf it comes down to, "Do you need the quick release?"

As a kayaker the quick release is nice for rounding up other boats and live bait. But other than that the quick release is kind of a pain in the butt. I'd go with the Wolf if I sup-ed.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can get a quick release for sea wolf too (+$30) which brings price closer to Green jacket. I would like a quick release for both attaching board leash and for safety (live bait). Free jacket also has beefier harness rating but seems bulkier then sea wolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
I've seen a lot of zippers on PFDs break, including the front pocket of the new Green Jacket. Over the head and simple is best...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have YTV now and love the simplistic design, no bells and whistles, and simple to use. I am looking for a rescue with more pockets and leaning towards green. I have read some reviews and sounds like astral has great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Beginner
2,483 Posts
Astral is great. They just re stuffed my LE Green Jacket for free and it's like a brand new PFD. However, I don't see the zipper pocket on the new model GJ lasting as long as the original design. I'm looking for another original model to have when I finally wear out my current PFD. It is bulky up front, but I have climbed back into the duckie dozens of times and the raft a few times and it hasn't been a big hindrance. You may want to orient your knife sideways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts