Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what is going on with the Arkansas snowpack?! I checked it a couple days ago and it was something like 118%. But when I checked again today it dropped like a brick. What's going on? Are the guages screwed up or are we just in need of snow? :shock:

·
Registered
861 Posts
The significant drop is an error in reporting...from what I have heard.

It did the same thing a couple of weeks ago but then adjusted back to normal.

It's looking good for the Ark. Not as big as the Gunni, or Animas but still way better than anything we have had in the past 5 years or more. The Ark still needs some big dumps in the Leadville and Fremont Pass area(Headwaters of the Ark). That is where the lowest snowpack is for the whole drainage...around 85%. They usually get some big spring storms up there in April so I am very optimistic about a great run off.

PLUS-The Roaring Fork is looking great, so the water being pumped from Aspen through Lake Creek should prove to be a long season.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
marco you are a smelly hippie -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dallas Blaney, hot damn, there's a blast from the past.

Get your smelly but on down to Durango this spring, were gonna have more water than we know what to do with. Give a ring if you need a place to stay, 970-759-1865.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny, look at the old timers having a little reunion on the buzz 8)

Kunta, I'm coming your way for that bike race in June - we gotta get together. I hear your family has grown!

DH

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey old-timers! Remember '95, 7000+ in the gorge? That was the season where Dave got his grey hair! Maybe we'll get some similar amounts of snow this spring.

KentV, how many kids now? I have the second on the way, due at the end of June. Dallas, have you finished going to school yet? And Harris...what the heck are you up to? It would be cool to get together. 719-238-1333

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Oh yeah- I was on Brown's in '95 the day they accidently released out of Twin Lakes on top of the peak of the runoff- at the time I heard that it was running at close to 7000 cfs, but I looked back in the records online and the USGS said peak flow was around 5500. Either an error in the data or my memory. Regardless, it was large. I remember Big Drop being a 12'-15' standing wave. Of course, my boat was 11'+ as well.

Good Times.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That trip was a monster! Vivid memories of Strifling swimming Sunshine and getting bagged with a perfect throw, a very lucky man.

2 kids now. Both girls to keep me surrounded by hotties. My wish has come true. I've got my oldest reading back issues of Paddler Magazine to go to bed to and she's way into big waterfalls.

Snowpack is building today with another 6" of fresh goods in Steamboat. Today was our last day running snowcat skiing on Buff. So we are truly packing up the winter and pulling out the summer.

I'm teaching a River Orientation course at CMC and will be on the water, river guide training next week (BURRRRRRR!)

Another storm looms so it's going to be a good river season.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Browns and the Gorge was big in 95. I keep preaching around here about the play at those levels. Big drop changed along with sunshine and other in 95 but that wave in big drop was siiiiccckkk in my PRION “rodeo” hurricane. Also #7 in the stair case a green steep wave about 12 to 14’ tall and the numbers play wow! It will be amazing to see what these young bucks can do with the new boats if these flows ever return.

But don’t forget about 86’- that year was almost a 95’ if my memory is correct. Running Browns somewhere around 5-6k cfs in a 22” tube Achilies non self bailing raft. Bail, bail, bail, Have we all lost the love for the 5 gallon bucket!? Now those were the days!

This year is going to be a very good year on the Ark. But we will need a couple of BIG storms to get the snow pack up to the levels of 95’ or 86’. I am out in these hills more than most and this is the most snow that I have seen around here since 97’ or so. Needless to say I am super fired up for a good water year on the Ark. Shit we have been watin for long enough for it to return!

Check out the latest and greatest on the ARK snowpack at

http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/basinplotark05.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dallas - you d'man!!!!

If by some slim chance you are reading this - WHAT THE F*^K?!?!

I'm working with the Chaz-Man at Appleby's in Kansas City baby...I've been bumped up to F & B Manager...that's Food and Beverage to all y'all not knowing types.

Just kidding - it's TJ, Dr. Woo, Cat's stomping pad.....

WOW.......if you read this drop me a line - I'm in an Icelandic prison!!

Ready to pick up trash with me for our slave wages??

Hope all's well!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts