Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there

Im visiting from Kentucky and car camping near Salida at the moment. For the past 7 weeks I've been all over the Colorado mountains south of I70 and hiking/biking/boarding/kayaking/camping...
I'd really like to hook up with some other paddlers and float the Arkansas tomorrow or soon, or even every/any day next week. Im fairly new to ww but to give an idea of my experience, i ran the stretch from Stone bridge to Salida twice by myself with no troubles 2 weeks ago and also the incredibly beautiful run from Salida. I would try the section just before the royal gorge if I had others to paddle with. Ive been on class 2 and 3 in Kentucky about 8 times plus over a decade of class 1 Kentucky rivers.
Anyone interested?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're the guy I gave a ride back to Stonebridge last week. Forecast is for a lot of snow over the next 2-3 days, not that that would bother some of the kayakers I know. Didja bring your skis, could be good Sun-Mon?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that would be me and many thanks for the ride. You are right about the snow! I woke up cold and had to get a 2nd sleeping bag which did the trick. Maybe waiting a couple days would be best and in the meantime head to Copper. I will probably stick around until midweek if anyone wants hook up and paddle so just let me know a day in advance. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,836 Posts
If your skiing today or tomorrow I would suggest Monarch, or better yet Wolf Creek over Copper. I was at Copper yesterday, and while the snow was good it was extremely crowded. Monarch is forecast to get 12-16" in the next 36 hours, Wolf Creek is forecast to get 24"+...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Ive never been to either so that will be fun. After all this current trip is all about finding new places in Colorado so I'm glad to be reminded to go somewhere new.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Dumping and cold all day at both monarch and wolf creek. Finally a blast of winter! Btw, a monarch season pass gets you free tickets all over co, nm, and elsewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Met my cousin at Beaver creek and boarded half day. Snow was ok but not great. Should have gone to Monarch but it was too far for him. Still had fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts