Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Outfitter and Private Boating Community,

For the protection of public health, welfare and safety, AHRA is closing the river section between Buena Vista (bottom of the whitewater park) and Wilderness Aware launch boat ramp until further notice. The Helena Diversion Structure (aka Silver Bullet, aka Buena Vista Boat Chute) is causing significant issues in the third wave of the boat chute and also the re-entry eddy at the bottom of the portage trail.

AHRA is working on launch options near Johnson Village. AHRA will notify you as soon as a compromise for launching within this section has been determined.

Due to private property between this stretch, whitewater trips above Buena Vista will need to end at Buena Vista boat ramp and no trips can launch at Buena Vista to travel downstream. Buena Vista's Whitewater Park is available.

Additional information will be provided when available.

AHRA
(719)539-7289

·
Registered
269 Posts
Must be pretty big issues to shut the river down. Glad for the heads up though - was planning to put it at RR bridge and run to Hecla on Saturday. Wouldn't have been thrilled to have been told to get out at BV with no car waiting there. Another section it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
GREAT JOB AHRA

:mad::mad::mad:Used to be great run. Another place AHRA trying to manage something they know very little about. Thanks Rob White

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
While I didn't like the idea of the remodel in the first place I actually think the designers will come back and get this figured out. The fact that the portage trail isn't working should have been easy to address in the design phase though. What's more screwed up is the AHRA somehow has the authority to close a section of river on a whim to the private boating community. That hole looked solid but certainly runnable. While this stretch isn't that fantastic it does connect other pieces of excellent whitewater which can make for a long, fulfilling and fairly uniquely Arkansas river experience.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Seems to me that nobody has the right to CLOSE that river to private boating. Navigable waterway. It's my right to get trashed in a hole if I want to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Furthermore a river is most certainly NOT like a public road. It was not built and does not need to be maintained. The AHRA CHOOSES to spend a lot of money around that river corridor...
But this thread is gonna get real dumb real fast. Get out your clubs and let's beat some dead horses. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Interesting to see what the AHRA can get done for only 400k and it only took 4 years of work... Guess they did not have the time or the $ to get it done correctly.

Wonder if they will find a way to get the "fix" done this decade or if we are looking at a arbitrary closing of this section of river for a number of years.. Just like the first time they re-did the boat chute in the 80's then again in the 90's the man made rapid is much more difficult after the "fix" was done.

Remember that the head gate to the ditch had to be redone and that is why the work was done.

From my understanding and before anyone jumps on the folks who did the in river work they had a ton of gradient to deal with as well as a fish ladder.. The guys building it did as good as they could with their hands tied by the AHRA. Again the guys building it did as well as they could. The complete responsibility lies solely with the AHRA.

The AHRA as well at the ditch and private land owners (well after the local rancher was nice enough to sell the AHRA the property as they are the "landowner" now) pretty much tied the hands of the guys doing the work as I saw the entire process the guys doing the work did as best they could with the gradient and what the AHRA said they had to do.

Kinda interesting that they did not see at 700 - 800cfs that this "thing" would be a beater hole..... Many of us who boat that section regularly sure had a strong suspicion that it would turn into just what it did.

As far as running it I dont think the AHRA should be able to or even can tell privates that they cant run any section on the Arkansas River. It seems the AHRA wants to shut down a lot of the Ark to boating over the past few months.

Or again the AHRA is planning on shutting down complete sections that have been historically boated (above Twin Lakes) just due to the whim of some well connected fishermen and now they want a indefinite closure for private boaters around Buena Vista??? Come on - limit the commercials and leave the section open to private boaters. The same way it should be above Twin Lakes..

Private boaters should be able to and should plan to boat the section. Plain and simple or this is a slippery slope that private boaters need to stand up to or the AHRA "closures" will get more arbitrary and no doubt bigger over the next few years..

Yea this is a epic fail or a great example of a bureaucracy boondoggle...

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
Well it looks like the AHRA screwed up the design on the boat chute but I'd expect someone's hearing from them on the fact it turned into a boat eater. Hopefully they'll get if fixed next winter and it'll make the section boatable at all levels.

I agree that they should open it to privates but sure wouldn't want to do that swim in that boogie water below it.

Yeah, it's a drag that they didn't get it right, but at least they tried to do something boater-friendly when they rebuilt the diversion. I'd bet they get an earful from the outfitters, especially the ones that frequent that stretch.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well it looks like the AHRA screwed up the design on the boat chute but I'd expect someone's hearing from them on the fact it turned into a boat eater. Hopefully they'll get if fixed next winter and it'll make the section boatable at all levels.

I agree that they should open it to privates but sure wouldn't want to do that swim in that boogie water below it.

Yeah, it's a drag that they didn't get it right, but at least they tried to do something boater-friendly when they rebuilt the diversion. I'd bet they get an earful from the outfitters, especially the ones that frequent that stretch.

Yea I would imagine that they will hear it but have to respectfully disagree with that they made this change for boaters as that was never the intention - well other than to get $ to do it...

The #1 priority was the fix so the head to the ditch would work. Might be why they poured in all that concrete to literally separate the river into 2 channels. So the ditch was the first priority this it totally understandable.

The #2 priority was the fish ladder that made the work significantly more difficult to get something mellow. So the fish were the 2nd most focused on priority.

The #3 priority was not to disturb the private land other than the land that is the boat chute. The AHRA owns most of this land. They had to be careful as well about the surrounding private property.

The #4 or very last priority and it shows - was to build a boat chute. They spent 0, zip, or no time on seeing if this thing would be safe and turned a blind eye when many said this hole would turn into what it is as soon as we saw it.

If making a safe boat chute gets pushed down to the very last priority on the old priority list well you get the unwarranted river closure as a knee jerk reaction to yet another high priced AHRA or CWP boondoggle....

A group of 5 of us in kayaks has ran it the past 2 nights and it is not even hard you just have to know where to be. Also you might not want to try and surf the "AHRA" wave :) or a swim is likely. To ban even a class 4 kayaker who has seen it is unwarranted at best. The "AHRA" hole is bad and the swim would not be fun but you cant compare the rapid in any way to the difficulty of Pine Creek that private boaters can and will run this week...

Just wondering if it will take another 4 years and another 400k to even attempt another fix??

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Thanks Jahve. I just can't imagine how they can justify "closing" the Ark to so called private boaters. My preferred term is the public. Seems like this really needs to be challenged. Please keep boating it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I hear you Phil I just use privates as that is the chosen nomenclature the CWP uses.

Public would be much better.

I would imagine that there are some folks already planning on a trip down that way soon.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Anyone know what the issues are in the re-entry eddy? Congestion or people falling out of boats in the eddy? Did they not even get the portage right? lol

I was on it two days ago at 2940, no need to close it at all except com.we had one cat and one 14 ft hyside.
So what's the secret to succes? Is it a left side line, hitting th hole on the left edge as someone in the other thread suggested?

I haven't even seen the new Silver Bullet and I already miss the old one....:(

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
The AHRA will not and can not stop me from boating when and where I want. They do not own the river and only have jobs because our tax dollars provide them with employment. I do appreciate everything they do, but if Pine Creek, Numbers and the Gorge are open to private/public boaters, so is the Silver Bullet... I would like to see them try and stop me if I choose to drop in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The AHRA will not and can not stop me from boating when and where I want. They do not own the river and only have jobs because our tax dollars provide them with employment. I do appreciate everything they do, but if Pine Creek, Numbers and the Gorge are open to private/public boaters, so is the Silver Bullet... I would like to see them try and stop me if I choose to drop in.
Lighten up, Francis.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Lighten up, Francis.
I don't think there is anything remotely light about this. IMO, its time to contact AW. There is a sign in BV stating the rio is closed. I would have no problem closing it to commercials and no problem with a sign alerting boaters to the hazard but it is entirely runnable for a solid class 4 boater. They are over reacting and setting dangerous precedent here. I'm in favor of qualified boaters running this as a form of civil disobedience. 2 days ago it was soft on the left side of the hole.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't think there is anything remotely light about this. IMO, its time to contact AW. There is a sign in BV stating the rio is closed. I would have no problem closing it to commercials and no problem with a sign alerting boaters to the hazard but it is entirely runnable for a solid class 4 boater. They are over reacting and setting dangerous precedent here. I'm in favor of qualified boaters running this as a form of civil disobedience. 2 days ago it was soft on the left side of the hole.
Tito Puente's gonna be dead, and your gonna say, "Oh, I've been listening to him for years, and I think he's Fabulous."

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Ran it Sunday and Monday. It flipped four decent kayakers, myself included. Scouting is recommended for first time through. My 12 year old re-entered after the portage without incident. Three clean raft runs. Just be ready to work left. WE saw a commercial boat (RR) wrapped pretty badly near the right shore Monday.

It would have been smart to design it so rafts could portage some passengers and catch the eddy to pick up those who wanted to opt out. That did not look feasible at flows just over 2K.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts