Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if they're going to cut off flows on the Arkansas like they usually do mid August? Like to get up there to play some but can't until around August 19th... Man. Time flies! Meant to get there sooner but life kept getting in the way

·
Registered
385 Posts
Don’t know if this years plan is to go back to native flows after the 15th, or not, but I’d probably just go anyway.
The Ark boats super low, and there should be some decent play, somewhere. Plus it just always feels good to be down there.
Seems like I keep missing high water Ark myself, due to other river trips, but It’s always a great time, even when it’s dirt low, maybe I’m sentimental from working there, years ago...
I’ve had some great trips in November, and even January, some years.

I’m sure Logan will stop by soon with the answer you asked, though.

Have a great trip!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My understanding is that we are on native flow and there hasn't been any augmentation so flows should continue to slowly decline but there shouldn't be a shut off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just checked the river level and sure enough it's dropped quite a bit today. So there you have it. I was hoping that it would be different with the big snow year.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We've been largely on native water of late. I expect some "exchanges" will be run soon, where native water is stored in upstream reservoirs and water is released from Pueblo Reservoir. This is a legal mechanism approved by water court decrees that municipalities, conservancy districts and irrigators use to move water to upstream reservoirs.

The upshot is that if we have a decent snow year, the same folks will push water back down to Pueblo this fall and winter giving us marginally boatable flows in Pine Creek and upper Numbers. In fact, the Upper Ark was boatable at some weird times last year for this very reason.

If you want to geek out, check out this link:
Colors of Water Viewer | Arkansas Basin Water Operations Dashboard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dan for the input. Looking forward to hopefully another amazing winter! I can certainly feel a change in the air in the mornings of the shift of seasons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts