Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do this section either from canon city or florence/portland cement down to pueblo reservoir? Looks like a good class 1 family canoe trip, but I am unsure of put ins and take outs and any hazards. Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I do not know it very well. I know that Swallows canyon is supposed to be nice. There is definitely at least one low head dam in there. I would look at AHRA's website, see if they have a river map. Google Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd be prepared for multiple agricultural dams and diversions, prisons, farmland, and wastewater treatment plants. don't pick up hitchhikers. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the map. thanks. It doesn't really help with finding a take-out above the reservoir, it shows one but I cannot find it on google maps.

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
You might also consider putting in below the dam at Lake Pueblo and taking out at the Nature Center (a great park with a boat ramp) or continuing on to the Pueblo Whitewater Park portaging the only lowhead dam river left (there is signage alerting you to it). The first is about 3-4 miles and the second is about twice that.

-Bryan
Pueblo Paddlers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts