Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in central OK, but I've heard that there is some decent paddling in AR. I'm intereted in getting information and possibly trying find someone to padlle with some weekend. Let me know, I have boats and will travel. Oh yeah, I would prefer Class IV to V nothing too hairy, but get that adrenaline pumping! Thanks in advance
--Al :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey dirty, welcome to the Ozark-Ouachita Mtn paddling area. The best place to get info on the good stuff would be Fish's (Bill Herring from Fayetteville, AR) website

http://www.ozarkpages.com/whitewater/

From the middle of OK, I would recommend the Cossatot River in western AR. This represent some good Class III-IV (V- at higher levels) paddling in the Ouachita Mtns. We paddle the section between Hwy 246 and Hwy 278 (old hwy 4 on some maps). This is the section that has been designated as a State Park and access is well marked when you're in the area. This river gets allot of paddler traffic and hooking up isn't hard. Look on an AR map for the town of Mena and DeQueen and you'll see the river just east of Hwy 71 that runs north and south from Ft. Smith and Texarkana. Go to the river at either hwy access (mentioned above) and follow the signs to the Falls. You'll be pleasnatly surprised.

The Ozarks is where most of the serious steep creeks are found. Plenty of info on Fish's site about that. Access and shuttles are a little trickier so you'll need to know when/where/who to meet up with prior to heading out for the good stuff.

Also, be sure to subscribe to Fish's boater's email exchange forum to get the latest plans from local paddlers. It's not busy until a major rain event but it's the best way to get hooked up.

Also, the Arkansas Canoe Club website has some good info and a paddler's forum but used mostly by Class II open boaters and their board is monitored/censored by club hiearchy. :)

So...watch for rain and come on over.

tomcat (in Little Rock)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tomcat. Sounds like fun. I'll be watching the forcast for when the rain falls, planes don't fly!

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey Al-

This is Steve - we did Bailey a few times when you were still at the Academy and I sold you a Werner BS Player. If you ever wear that paddle out, drop me a line on the Buzz and I may buy the shaft back from you. Werner stopped making bent shafts in fiberglass two years ago, and I would want the shaft to send to Werner to put new blades on. The carbon shafts kill my elbows.

Good luck in OK. I can tell you that there is a water fall there that looks really cool. I don't know exactly where it is, though. It's at a state park that is within 90 minutes of Chickasha. I once visited a friend at his parent's house down there and we just went bummin' around at this state park type of place and there was this great waterfall. It looks like something from the Dominican, actually - clean, clear, warm water and limestone. I'd say the drop was 25 feet, maybe more.

Steve

·
Registered
16 Posts
News Release

Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area Integrated
Concept Plan presented to Colorado State Parks Board

DENVER, Co—On Feb. 13 the Colorado State Parks Board met at Cherry Creek State Park to discuss the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area (AHRA) Integrated Concept Plan (ICP). The ICP is designed to provide assistance in resolving a number of Private Boat and Special Use Agreement issues that have been brought to the attention of Colorado State Parks and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The plan is a collaborative solution involving Colorado State Parks, the BLM, the AHRA Citizen’s Task Force, the Arkansas River Outfitters Association, private boater groups and the general outdoor recreation public. Adoption of the ICP could lead to modifications of the 2001 Arkansas River Recreation Management Plan.
Prior to the board meeting, four public meetings were held in Leadville, Salida, Canon City and Denver to discuss the proposals outlined within the ICP. The comments received at these meetings were utilized to draft a revised version of the ICP that was presented to the Colorado State Parks Board. The revised version is available for public comment on the Web at www.parks.state.co.us under the link entitled “AHRA Integrated Concept Plan.” Public comment on the revised ICP can be sent via email or physical mail until March 5 at 5:00 p.m. Specific email and physical addresses at which comments will be received isare listed on the Web site. Following this comment period the Colorado State Parks Board will consider adoption of the revised ICP at their March 25-26 meeting in Canon City.
The 2001 Arkansas River Recreation Management Plan began in the spring of 1998 as a revision of the original management plan developed in 1989 as part of the establishment of the AHRA. The AHRA stretches 150 miles along the river from its headwaters near Leadville down to Lake Pueblo State Park. Both the 1989 and 2001 plans were products of comprehensive public involvement processes. The complete 2001 plan is available on the Web at www.parks.state.co.us by using the Park Quick Find and selecting Arkansas Headwaters and then selecting Management Plan from the left-hand menu.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey al, if your still in ok, you might keep your eye on nw ar. rain system moving in for the weekend. the rivers should run. kahuna

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm definitley interested. I'll probably get off work too late to hit anything tomorrow, but Saturday is game if anyone is interested in an Oklahoman Tagging along!
--Al :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey al, can't go tomorow either but trying to find crew for sat. for somthin to run. don't know what will hold for the weekend but will post with info tomorrow after noon. later, kahuna

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let me know if you are doing anything this wkd. Its a 4 hr drive for me but i want to go
--Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
al, we're going to the cossatot tomorrow, will leave ft smith around 9:00 am. the run is about 2hrs. from ft.smith. give me a call at 479- 996-7444 kahuna

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dirty Al....did ya make it to Arky land this weekend? We had a great day Friday in the Ozarks....sunny day with temps in 70s and paddled two steep creeks....East Fork of the Little Buffalo and then Richland Creek that afternoon. Richland was still good to go on Saturday. Should have been there.

tomcat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts