Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Heard an update this morning.......they don't believe that any of the tanks actually ruptured. Just a bunch of little 20 pound tanks floatin' around....I'm sure they'll get them removed before the weekend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, that was a new one on the list of why you can't get on the run you want. We were just getting ready to head out to run the Gorge when we heard it on the news. The thought of paddling amongst a bunch of depth charges didn't appeal so we opted for the #'s instead.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
more evidence for Hwy 50 through Big Horn Sheep Canyon as the worst road in Colorado.
ever driven hwy 550 from ouray to durango in the middle of the winter? (on the two or three days a week they manage to get it open, of course)

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
Hey- don't knock the Million Dollar Highway- my grandfather helped build it. That was a lot of money back then for a road. Just slow down and take in the view...:cool:

ever driven hwy 550 from ouray to durango in the middle of the winter? (on the two or three days a week they manage to get it open, of course)

·
Registered
807 Posts
everyday for 6 weeks during the winter of 1996 (when it was open, as you said) sometimes with my beacon on, in the car.

but the difference is that road scares the shit out of everyone and everyone slows down. for some reason people drive the canyon like they are bullet proof. this despite the fact there are dark, icy corners, local traffic and very few places to pass.

when we were building the Pueblo park I drove that road 4 days a week, there and back, from October to March and I developed a acute hatred for that piece of highway.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
if that place even gets a little bit of rain, you better be watching for falling rocks. 3 years back i remember driving by a mustang that had it's front completely smashed into the ground from a boulder. and further up the road was more rock slides. nasty little road but its a beauitful one that's for sure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I nearly crapped my shorts driving that from Pagosa over to Ridgeway on that road headed for a hut trip, watching my newly-hitched friends behind me sliding all over the place. The conditions were pretty bad even by CO standards and I was so relieved to get to the bottom by the cliffside...where I came up behind a semi. He must have needed that big truck to carry around his huge brass ones.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Since we've totally strayed off topic. Red Mountain Pass is F'n awesome! In a sketchy-fear-of-death kind of way. It only makes it better for me knowing that people have reportedly paddled the gorge down there. I'd love to see some pics from river-level of that baby.

COUNT

·
Kjirsten
1,483 Posts
I agree- I've never come around a corner on any other road (or on a river) like the one just short of the first avalanche tunnel and felt my own mortality so acutely. It takes my breath away every time- Winter or Summer.

Red Mountain Pass is F'n awesome! In a sketchy-fear-of-death kind of way.
COUNT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts