Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE be careful if headed to the Arkansas right now. As part of the search and rescue team that was searching for the boy who was lost in the river, I have been rowing every section of the river the last few days.

It is a raging big water river right now. I am still seeing family's with kids and dogs showing up and it scares me. It is so large that the banks are just full of strainers if someone goes for a swim accidentally it is a dangerous place.

LEAVE your dogs at home and please be careful and safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually, Salidaboater, I guess your post already covers my question.

"the banks are just full of strainers if someone goes for a swim accidentally it is a dangerous place"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had a couple private messages asking about the Ark and what is happening. The Ark is flowing anywhere from 4200 to 5200 CFS depending where you look. For example below Big Bend it is pretty much out of the banks and flooding property.

Yes there are STRAINERS everywhere, as a result of the the river being so far up the banks. I saw places yesterday in Bighorn Sheep Canyon where for a 1/4 mile or so on one of the banks it would be impossible to get out if you were a swimmer. Lots of debris and huge logs and even big trees going down the river right now. Seidels is flipping half the boats going through there from what I witnessed.

People are flipping rafts in the play holes. Getting under bridges will start to be an issue. The Wellsville bridge was getting close yesterday.

So my advice is bring your A game and think of it as a serious river right now. Young kids and dogs should stay at home. The challenge I see is if you find yourself as a swimmer in the river it becomes serious. If you are a swimmer stay right in the middle of the river on your back feet down river and take your time and figure out which side is best to swim to if you can't stay with your boat. Realize it will take you much longer to swim to where you are headed so keep your eyes open. If you are dressed correctly and can stay warm so you can spend some time in the river to safely exit. The middle of the river is the safest place until you know you can exit.

I hope this helps and just be safe, helmets, PFD's strapped tight, throw ropes handy, whistles and good communication.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Impact of the high water on FIBArk

Question for the Salida folks - I don't get out often anymore (getting old) but I was planning to come down to watch the FIBArk festivities. Is hte water high enough that the FIBArk events will be comprimised (ie- would the water be too high for hte Hooligan's race / will the play holes be washed out??)

·
Sponsoring Vendors
331 Posts
Question for the Salida folks - I don't get out often anymore (getting old) but I was planning to come down to watch the FIBArk festivities. Is hte water high enough that the FIBArk events will be comprimised (ie- would the water be too high for hte Hooligan's race / will the play holes be washed out??)
Yeah that is a good question Vermont Refuge. I think with the recent accidents on the river that is going to be a hot topic for the Fibark board. They have a website FIBArk — America's Oldest & Boldest Whitewater Festival.

I ran from Stone bridge to Salida east yesterday @ 4300cfs and the bridge @ C.R. 166 had about 26"-30" clearance under the I beams. If we were in a oar rig we would had to nail the opening between the I beams for the oar towers...not to mention if you have a oarsman seat. In the paddle boat we still had to duck under that bridge.
Be safe out there everyone!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah that is a good question Vermont Refuge. I think with the recent accidents on the river that is going to be a hot topic for the Fibark board. They have a website FIBArk — America's Oldest & Boldest Whitewater Festival.

I ran from Stone bridge to Salida east yesterday @ 4300cfs and the bridge @ C.R. 166 had about 26"-30" clearance under the I beams. If we were in a oar rig we would had to nail the opening between the I beams for the oar towers...not to mention if you have a oarsman seat. In the paddle boat we still had to duck under that bridge.
Be safe out there everyone!
My group was planning to run from Stone Bridge to Rincon this weekend (yes we know FIBARK is going on and will past through at off times when nothing is happening). Would CR 166 also be the low point between Stone Bridge and Rincon - I don't recall any low bridges between Salida East and Rincon, but it's been a couple years and it was at probably 1400 so I might not have noticed.

Can you easily portage CR 166 (we will have two oar frames) or would that be a fiasco?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wellsville bridge is also getting close. Depending on your rig you better scout it and be careful. I underestimated the waves once you get under and we had to duck way down. If I would of had a seat on my frame I would have been in trouble.

No you cannot portage 166 it is private property upstream of the bridge

Please be careful on the Ark right now.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
331 Posts
The bridge at CR 166 is the low point on that stretch. Currently it's barely passable in a paddle raft and we would recommend scouting it from the bridge before you put in. An oar rig will be tricky so please use your own discretion. Portaging around it is not an easy proposition with fences and thick brush to overcome. Again, please consider scouting it first and above all be safe.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
331 Posts
The AHRA recommends portaging Stone Bridge at or above 3800 cfs based on the Nathrop gauge. It's showing 4000 right now. They have recently cut a trail on river right to provide this opportunity. Put in downstream of the bridge using one of the boat ramps. They will be posting an alert with maps in the next day or two on their website. Be safe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
AHRA posting some guidelines would be great. I'm surprised it's not on their website now, but I admit we haven't had this problem in years.

No substitute for scouting, but those of us on front range would love some guidelines so don't want to spend 5 hours (round trip) in the car to find we cannot get under a bridge.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
The AHRA recommends portaging Stone Bridge at or above 3800 cfs based on the Nathrop gauge. It's showing 4000 right now.
So running a heavy oar rig from past Hecla to the Stone Bridge access is out of the question? And where is the CR 166 bridge in relation to Big Bend? Upstream or downstream?

Thanks,

-AH

1 - 20 of 90 Posts