Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paddled from Elephant Rock down to the BV playpark on Saturday. At ELF flows (100 to 150CFS?) its almost more interesting than higher flows. There's a good channel 90+% of the time. A couple tight ice shelf spots... spent a lot of the run slowing it down to be sure I wasn't paddling down a blind slot to an ice shelf. House Rock had ugly ice bridges on both sides requiring an attainment to find a spot to get out of the Rio and a portage high on the Rio right side. The scrapiest spot was in the playpark below the uptown hole. Also had about 50' of cobble scraping in the middle of the run.

I would call most of it class 3 Elfing with a couple of must make moves. The exposure is high even though most of it is relatively roadside. Actually getting out of the Rio is hard to impossible on much of the run due to the ice lining the banks. Drove up river today and the Numbers and the Granite section both had big sections completely locked in ice.

Even though its "only" class 3, I would suggest that class 4 skills are necessary cuz the exposure is so high. I'm psyched to have a run available to get in shape on. Looking for other crazed/enthusiastic boaters to greet spring with...

Phil

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
not quite yet. how about AZ 3-17 through 3-21? oak creek, sedona, red rock, warm'er temperatures...otherwise 2-3 more weeks and I will be with you all the way :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts