Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are shuting it down, anybody have an idea what is going to happen for this weekend?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Ark flows down valley

Crystal ball says, worst case scenario it will be 700cfs. Best case scenario it will be higher, maybe 1000, but don't count on it. :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
It seems like we should just make a sticky thread for this time of year that has links to the 68 threads that cover this subject....

The Ark has a voluntary flow program whereby releases are timed by water users to keep the river above 700cfs on the Wellsville gauge up to August 15th. Basically as soon as the native flow on the Ark drops below 700 on that gauge then water users release "project" water, i.e. water that is imported through the Fry-Ark Project from the west slope, to keep the flow above 700cfs.

As flows drop this time of year your guess is as good as mine. I think it is possible to estimate how much native flow is in the river and how much they are releasing or are going to reduce flows by and then make an educated guess...but I can't. Basically it is going down now and might keep going down to 700 but I doubt it will drop that low by the weekend. Then generally try to keep the bottom from falling out. There is no real agreement on all the flows between the peak and 700 other than they don't make radical swings to help the fish out. Also it will not go back up unless we get a bunch of rain.

1000ish is sweet on the Ark, come on up.

·
White R. BC
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Man. Coming up anyway. Just wanted to know if anybody knows what "they" were doing and what we can expect. "They" don't have a PR person like the Blue does.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Posted on the Ark website:

"On 07/16/09 at Noon, the release flow from Twin Lakes will be reduced from 150 cfs to 75 cfs. On 07/17/09, the release of 75 cfs will end."

To do the math:
Numbers went down to 735 this afternoon, so after tomorrow at noon it will be around 660.
Nathrop hasn't seen the drop yet and is at 1000, so 850 ish after tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
mjpowhound;152856 Do they really do that? Release 0 from Twin Lakes?[/quote said:
No, these changes in flow are changes in project water, or water that is being transfered from one location to another, most of which comes from the Roaring Fork/Fryingpan drainage. Even in winter the flow never drops to zero. They are still releasing over 320 from the reservoir.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Kaleb - next year I can just imagine that we will hear some thriller on a sledin video!! Now that would be funny..

Yea the playpark is still sweet and should be for the weekend.. I was there yesterday and while my boat will not do what the crew in the video was doin ;);) - it still super fun.

Harv is right the Ark will run somewhere from 1000 - 700 cfs depending on water calls and rain until Aug 15th....

·
I kayak DH.
794 Posts
Kaleb - next year I can just imagine that we will hear some thriller on a sledin video!! Now that would be funny..
Yeah, I don't know about that. I think you underestimate the general homophobia & closedmindedness of the average sledder. You know the pink fad that sports went through a couple years ago... there's a reason that NEVER touched sledding, not gunna heppin here.
Sledders are funny, not funny haha...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Info and PR for the Ark

Everyone,
This post:

"The Ark has a voluntary flow program whereby releases are timed by water users to keep the river above 700cfs on the Wellsville gauge up to August 15th. Basically as soon as the native flow on the Ark drops below 700 on that gauge then water users release "project" water, i.e. water that is imported through the Fry-Ark Project from the west slope, to keep the flow above 700cfs.

As flows drop this time of year your guess is as good as mine. I think it is possible to estimate how much native flow is in the river and how much they are releasing or are going to reduce flows by and then make an educated guess...but I can't. Basically it is going down now and might keep going down to 700 but I doubt it will drop that low by the weekend. Then generally try to keep the bottom from falling out. There is no real agreement on all the flows between the peak and 700 other than they don't make radical swings to help the fish out. Also it will not go back up unless we get a bunch of rain."

...is a great summary of what triggers flow levels on the Ark this time of year.

As is this set of posts:

"Do they really do that? Release 0 from Twin Lakes?

No, these changes in flow are changes in project water, or water that is being transfered from one location to another, most of which comes from the Roaring Fork/Fryingpan drainage. Even in winter the flow never drops to zero. They are still releasing over 320 from the reservoir."

Typically, the Arkansas Headwaters Rec Area folks consolidate the river info and serve as "the PR person" for flows on the Ark. Because their website (link posted earlier in thread) provides a "one-stop-shopping" sort of location for Ark flow and rec information, I haven't really developed an outreach program for our Fryingpan-Arkansas Project operations like I have on the Lower Blue.

But, if enough folks think something like what I provide on the Lower Blue is warranted for the Arkansas, I'm open to the idea. The one caveat I offer is that, unlike the Lower Blue, the Arkansas has multiple water users, agreements, and operations that impact water flow there. My information is only a piece of that bigger picture, so to speak.

Best,
Kara

·
Super Moderator
3,891 Posts
A couple of questions:

When the supplemental flows are shut down at midnight on August 15, how long does it take the flow shut-off to reach Brown's? Mainly, if one were to float Brown's on Aug 16 would there be a significant difference in flow by afternoon?

Same question for the Royal Gorge? How many days lag time is there before the flow is affected?

Thanks,

-AH

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
A couple of questions:

When the supplemental flows are shut down at midnight on August 15, how long does it take the flow shut-off to reach Brown's? Mainly, if one were to float Brown's on Aug 16 would there be a significant difference in flow by afternoon?

Same question for the Royal Gorge? How many days lag time is there before the flow is affected?

Thanks,

-AH
Natural flows have a different time scale, but dam release from TL seems to take about 3-4 hours to affect Browns, more like 8-12 hours for the Gorge. When it is shut down you see the change rather quickly...and as I remember it isn't usually at midnight that they shut it off...I think it was mid-day back in 06, and 07...but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Natural flows have a different time scale, but dam release from TL seems to take about 3-4 hours to affect Browns, more like 8-12 hours for the Gorge. When it is shut down you see the change rather quickly...and as I remember it isn't usually at midnight that they shut it off...I think it was mid-day back in 06, and 07...but I could be wrong about that.
That matches what I recall, too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts