Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some people have had some speculation about the water flows on the ark this time of year. But I want to get some input on how low (CFS) you can raft the ark and have fun. I was planning on rafting in my 14 footer the fractions/frag rock, Buena Vista Town Run, Browns Canyon section this Saturday.

Any thoughts? Also, any guess as to whether the water level will rise above 1,000 CFS this weekend?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
No one can define whats fun for you. Its more fun that a sharp stick in the eye or sitting at a desk or squealing like a pig in deliverance but there is water, you can float it and the augmented level of the ark at this time of year is 750. If it rains enough it will rise. Watch for clouds.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, fun is all relative. I wouldn't take a raft down there (to have fun) under five or six hundred, though you can raft it down to 300. Won't break 1000 again this season with out torrential flashflood rainstorms.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I ran my 14' widebody hyside down pine creek and numbers on Sunday. It is still a fun level, but be ready, especially on the fractions, for a lot of rock dodging, spinning off rocks, hitting rocks and getting stuck. It is still a lot of fun, as long as you know whats coming.

As far as doing Fractions, the BV town run and Brown's canyon in a single day - that sounds like a really long day at this flow. Brown's is 13 miles, Fractions is 7 miles and the BV Town run is 6. Our 7-8 mile run (we put in at Clear Creek of the Ark) on Pine/Numbers took about 4 hours including lunch and a brief scout at pine creek (but excluding shuttles and rigging). Of course we had more gradient to keep everything moving than you will. For 26 miles, at this level I would guess that will take you 8 or more hours. So either get an real early start or consider starting lower, either at the start of the town run or at the start of Brown's canyon. A lot of outfitters run Brown's as a full day trip...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts