Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for small beginner falls/drops in AZ to practice on. Preferably in spot that you can hike the raft back upstream and run multiple times a day. Something like Apache falls, but you know, legal to run.

Are there any out there?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fossil Creek has a real nice 15-20 footer. I cant remember the name of it off the top of my head but I ran it in January and it was good to go. Its a park and huck. 15 min hike or so from what I can remember.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
It is not a practical raft run...you have to carry up from where you park apx.a mile...to drop the falls you have to carry up a small ( 25'-30 ') rock formation...it is usually too low for a raft...the run below is scrapey even at 150/200 CFS...the class 4/5 ish drop ( if high enough for a raft) consists of two very narrow slots/slides that are borderline wide enough for a ducky..the ledges on the middle run have trees growing on them to weave between....the falls could be safe and fun in a raft if enough agua but a lot of work for a few seconds of free all....I also heard that they are limiting access to x amount of people per day ,would suck to drive there and get skunked....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't remember the name of the road to fossil creek but it's worth going. I've ran it many times and loved it each time. It's never the destination but the journey. American Whitewater has some really great beta. Wahoooo!

Woke up this morning at 10:13.

·
God Amongst Men
1,994 Posts
^ and you better do it soon before they close Fossil Creek to boating because of too much abuse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts