Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
sierra rescue

Julie Munger and Sierra Rescue do a swiftwater course on the Salt when it is running. They have one on the schedule in Oct. and usually do one every Spring when the Salt is running.

That is about it for AZ.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is very long overdue...

Thought I'd post this info for anyone looking for swiftwater rescue training in Arizona, who might come across this thread.

Ended up taking a class with Dale Stewart, owner of the Arizona Hiking Shack, Russ Dodge, a Rescue 3 instructor and an AZ DPS air rescue stud, and Mark Delima (back then he was Phoenix Fire Dept. rescue, maybe he still is?). Anyway, it was, by far, the best swiftwater safety class we've ever taken. All these guys are extraordinarily skilled and knowledgeable and they all love sharing their knowledge and promoting swiftwater safety.

We've taken classes from the whole spectrum of instructors, from aloof, lazy and indifferent to enthusiastic, extremely informative and very challenging. These guys, especially Russ Dodge are some of the greatest. Russ really pushed and challenged us. 7 years later, we've retained more from that class than a class we took 2 summers ago.

If you're ever looking for a class in Arizona, I can not recommend these guys highly enough. I would contact Dale at the AZ Hiking Shack or Russ Dodge through Rescue 3.

Also, if you're ever near Phoenix, I can't recommend the AZ Hiking Shack highly enough for rafting and kayak rentals in addition to all outdoor gear, including safety/rescue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts