1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
18 Posts
i kayak surf a lot since i live in florida. most surfers get upset with me because i'm not a "real" surfer. but its tons of fun. kinda scary when u paddle out beause u cant duck dive the waves u have to go over everyone. but its still fun.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Adam, have you any advice for those of who are just starting, or never been, ocean kayak surfing? I'll be trying it for the first time over Christmas and New Year's this year. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Aaron

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
advice

When you can, stay CLEAR of board surfers. Especially at very localized spots. When "sharing" waves with surfers, rider closest to the peak has priority. Make sure you are aware of surfers that also may be paddling out when taking waves (don't run them over). Remember your advantage with the paddle and boyance of the boat and don't be a wave hog that takes every peak because you can. Someone at some point will give you shit. Promise. I have board surfed for 20 years and kayak surfed for 9. Santa Cruz= you will get slugged eventually, a nice beach break down 100 yards from the pier in St. Augustine = good to go all day. The better you are about priority and the more etiquette you use the better it is. As for catching them it is very, very easy. Big steep waves in spud boats = massive air. Oh, and green wave surfing is the goods. Foam pile cartwheels are for the river. Have fun.

h

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thanks Hobie, I'll keep surf ettiquite on top priority, and cartwheels to a minimum. Curious, am I gonna get thrashed, circulated and just pushed around by the wave when I go over...like when body surfing, or will I just get thrashed and run over by the wave with an opportunity to roll afterwards? Guess what I'm really asking is whether I should expect to be swimming my gear back to shore after each attempt or not. Might be a bit chilly if I'm swimming much.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are not a good roller then yes, many swims. Try to find a small rip or area where there is a break in the action (reefs have channels, sand bars sometimes have lull areas) people say rips are dangerous. Yes, when swimming. Paddling out they will help pull you out. To exit paddle parallel to the beach. They are narrow. If you see you are going to take a BIG on the deck hit from a wave, paddle hard at it and try to push over or thru with a last strong stroke. At impact try to get forward. This will drive you forward as well as protect your skirt from imploding. Another point. Have a good skirt,. one with an implosion bar is nice.

hobie

·
Registered
281 Posts
another hint for paddling through waves:

come to it at a 11:00 or 1:00 angle, then take a sweep stroke over it....careful though, if you lean back when you stroke over the wave, your stern will engage...sweeping over the wave is a little easier than paddling straight through it...

if you do get caught inside and the foam pile catches you, just treat it like a hole and surf it up or surf it across to get back out...

wish i were at the beach!

matt

·
Registered
429 Posts
Again, thanks for all the info. I post a trip report when I get back, but I still have to leave!! Don't expect anything 'till after the first of the year.

Aaron

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another thing to remember is that point breaks or reef breaks will be less likely to work you as they break in deeper water. Beach breaks are fun but you can easily get dropped on your head onto the beach resulting in sand in every crevase you can imagine. Otherwise have fun and enjoy, but definetly keep away from surfers, some will be cool but others will be huge dicks. They are very territorial and are not very open to new people.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ya, I'm familiar with the different types of breaks, and figured I'd get pretty beat-up on the beach breaks. Might not stop me from trying it though, especially at first...much shorter swim if that happens! Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
try to hop off the waves before they make it to shore. its easy to paddle pout and u can catch more waves. and wear a helmet. surfers like to stay im packs so normally the beach is pretty open. have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts