Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Dagger Dancers made of crosslink or regular plastic? I've got two I'm getting rid of, but if they are regular plastic, I want to keep some for welding.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dagger didn't make the Dancer kayak.

If you have a Dancer, it was made by PERCEPTION.

If you have old Daggers, they are likely the CROSSFIRE, TRANSITION, GRADIENT, or RPM?

As far as the plastic, I'm pretty sure they are not crosslink, and that they are linear. Not sure about that though.

·
Registered
516 Posts
they are cross linked and he's right about the manufacturer. In fact all the old american boats of the Dancer era were cross linked. The German boats were all linear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends on how old they are. The really old Dancers were crosslink but Perception switched over to Linear back in the early 90's.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the correct company, my mistake. Good to know about the plastic type. Is there anyway to tell if its crosslink vs linear?

I also have an old mirage, any clue what plastic that might be?

These are all going to confluences boat recycling, just wanted to see what I could take from them first.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Mirage is definitely Xlink. If the Dancer has black outfitting it is also xlink. If it has yellow outfitting it is probably linear. You can take a shaving off of the inside of the cockpit rim and melt it with a torch. If it runs as it melts it is linear. It it holds its shape and catches fire it is xlink.

dan

·
Registered
250 Posts
wow boatdziner - you are a kayak plastic expert.

Both the mirage and dancer were made by Perception. I used to be obsessed particularly with Perception Kayaks at the age of 13 in 1995. My first boat was the super sport.

On the Payette River we have had a "retro rodeo," where we do surfing and enders and other old school kayaking tricks. The best boats at this particular feature are boats like the full size Pirouette, Mirage, and Dancer.

Anyhow, thanks for the information boatdziner.
Thanks

·
Registered
712 Posts
Only one boat I know of that could ender you higher than a Mirage - assuming you could get it into an ender - the Perception Spirit. Those were the days when you really got some vertical air and hang time......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look for the old canvas spray skirt with the bungee cord. Get a plastic Seda helmet and a Norse paddle that is about 215cm with a 90 degree offset and blades the size of dinner plates. Add in an Extrasport or Seda high float lifejacket with the fold up bottom section and you are well on your way to being the 80's paddler. I started in '85 with a fiberglass boat that made a Spirit look like a squirt boat. I had all of the above mentioned gear at one point in time. At 13 I paddled with a 210cm paddle and I upgraded the next year to a neoprene skirt. My first boat cost $30 and it came with a 220cm carlisle kayak paddle and a canvas skirt. Times sure have changed.

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts