Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
The carbon Shred is a really durable blade, IMO. I've had a few of them and they've been my creeker paddle of choice because they're inexpensive, can take hits for multiple seasons, but are fairly lightweight. But if you do break a blade, they will usually replace the blade itself for about $50 (but you end up with a shorter shaft, of course). Downside is that they only offer straight shafts, which for many is a dealbreaker.

Any paddle will break, but in my opinion AB Carbons are more durable than most.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I won an AB Shred last year and just assumed I'd hate it. As luck would have it my super-expensive fancy paddles got lost by the airlines and I ended up paddling a lot of class V with the AB. I'm still using it and I actually like it.

It doesn't paddle nearly as nicely as an AT or fancy Werner but it's about 1/3 the cost. I don't think you could find a better paddle for the price. I recommend it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I didn't have much luck with the shaft of a Carbon AT. It's plenty strong for boating, and I generally liked the way it paddled, but side-to-side it felt... crushable. I went with a werner after.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I use an AB shred and have mixed feelings about it. It is what I am used to and it has got me down many rivers for the last 3 seasons...but it doesn't paddle quite as smooth as I would like - it can be a little hard to use in more difficult whitewater.

A great beginner paddle, but I think I am ready to move on...

·
Registered
41 Posts
as lmyers said, it is a great beginner paddle if you are looking and planning to paddle for a long time, rather spend the 305 dollors on a Werner Bent shaft, that is what i just got and wil never look back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts