Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a pool in the area which does not offer roll sessions and it's sad as there is a good number of kayakers in the area.

Any advice on how to approach these people about getting this started? I would guess liability would be one of the first issues to arise. Do clubs or local shops that sponsor the sessions take care of liability? Is getting a signed petition helpful? Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Issues in order of importance to my pool: Money, sanitation, liability

It has to make financial sense. 3 kayakers displacing 20 swimmers is not going to fly.

Second dirt is a big issue for us. Is there a place to clean out boats?

Liability isn't a big deal as long as there are no other pool users in the water: see money.

Offer to go late at might or early in the morning or on weekends. my pool closes at 5pm on saturdays. That works during the winter well enough.

Write a letter explaining what you want to the pool manager. explain what money it would bring in- if any. Suggest times. have somebody lined up to oversee or host it- preferably an organization, store but possibly a really dedicated person.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
We have always had to rent a lifeguard as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used to be a pool manager also worked at several pools that allowed kayakers. The biggest things were time and money. We had them come in on Sunday mornings (or Fri nights) before (or after) we had regular hours, and then they had to pay the guard.

If it's possible, present the times you'd be willing to come in before or after hours and ask if they'd treat it as a regualar rental.

If it's financially a good idea for them- they'll probably do it.

good luck

·
Registered
134 Posts
I recently went through this with the local community pool. They offered it in the past but had stopped for some reason. They have been very resistant but I am very persistent and it’s a community pool so they really couldn’t say “no”. I started back in Oct and we just had our first session last month. If you’re interested I can forward the e-mails we sent back and forth so you can see how I got it to go. PM me your e-mail address if you’re interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts