Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kyle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm planning a trip for my girlfriend and her brothers. They have limited (none) river experience, so I figured RHT is a great place to start them. Have a RHT trip planned 10/24-10/28, however it doesn't look like fire restrictions will be lifted by the time we launch. Based in Vail Valley, CO, so trying to find something within a 4-5 hour drive that will allow us to have a fire at night and use charcoal. Any recommendations as to somewhere that doesn't have fire restrictions for a 10/24-10/28 trip? A few rapids are fine as I will row them, but don't want anything big as one of her brothers will be rowing my other boat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't think you will find anywhere around without a fire ban right now. We are launching R/H on the 24th also till the 26th. We have a propane fire pit that is allowed that we bought years back for river trips during fire bans. (Nothing more relaxing than sitting around the camp fire next to the river at night) They do burn through the propane though. What camps do you have?

·
Kyle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think you will find anywhere around without a fire ban right now. We are launching R/H on the 24th also till the 26th. We have a propane fire pit that is allowed that we bought years back for river trips during fire bans. (Nothing more relaxing than sitting around the camp fire next to the river at night) They do burn through the propane though. What camps do you have?
Awesome, thanks for the tip. Yeah, i was looking at the Camp Chef sequoia fire pit, but it seems that it uses a 20 lb tank on high power in only 2 hours. Do you have any recs on a propane pit that will be reasonable on propane usage?

We are at banjo, laying over at mee corner and then a black rocks...cant remember which one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I feel you. Out here in Oregon, we’re under a fire ban and it’s steelhead season! Chilly nights. We use this - a 360 degree propane heater from Ace Hardware. It’s ok on gas usage. We use one 5 gallon tank over 3-4 nights. Perhaps a few hours each night burning. Everyone can gather around it, and it’s really adjustable. Super bulky to carry though. Mine lives in a giant aluminum pot we use to heat water.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think we will be living with fire bans for quite a while.... I have some fire logs that I got from a fireplace store and I just stack them on my blaster on low, works really well. Another option is the little red or big red campfire. A little pricey for what it is but I was impressed with one on a trip earlier this year.

·
Kyle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel you. Out here in Oregon, we’re under a fire ban and it’s steelhead season! Chilly nights. We use this - a 360 degree propane heater from Ace Hardware. It’s ok on gas usage. We use one 5 gallon tank over 3-4 nights. Perhaps a few hours each night burning. Everyone can gather around it, and it’s really adjustable. Super bulky to carry though. Mine lives in a giant aluminum pot we use to heat water. View attachment 60497
That's an awesome idea! Hadn't thought of that...any chance you can provide a link for this?

·
Kyle
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think we will be living with fire bans for quite a while.... I have some fire logs that I got from a fireplace store and I just stack them on my blaster on low, works really well. Another option is the little red or big red campfire. A little pricey for what it is but I was impressed with one on a trip earlier this year.
Another good idea..

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
[/QUOTE]
My daughter has one of these, a 20 lb bottle lasts about 20 hours on low, 12 hours on medium and 6 hours on high she said. They are not very big eather.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Another nice feature of the propane fire pits, they are smoke free. We used one 2 weeks ago on Ruby Horsethief.
They do eat a lot of gas, but it's a short trip. Ran the stove and the fire pit for three days off one std 20 lb propane tank and had gas left over. It worked fine for smores.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts